A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Puyo Puyo HD

TailsSena

Hi guys... New project. (I make new ones whenever I get bored.)

As the title indicates, this is an HD remake of Puyo Puyo. (Which you may know as "Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine.")

Anyway, this is my first HD game ever, and it's also in Japanese... This will be fun, I can tell.

...Features... Well, I think the only new feature I'll be adding is online multiplayer, and maaaaybe recycling the DS version's 8-player multiplayer. We'll see.

Screenshot. (I only have one so far, and it's huge.)

eCfcQ.png

Note, the game runs at 1920x1080 by default, but my shrinks to your computer's max display if it's lower. My laptop is 1366x768.

It also seems that imgur shrunk the image a bit.

Thoughts?

3rd game, others not finished, HD, in a language you do not understand

I'll give it 3 weeks.

Otherwise good luck i guess. My only suggestion is to make it in English first, because i see no reason in you showing a japanese game to a forum board full of people who speak english.

I wouldn't care if it was in german, so moonrunes is worse

I'll release and English Edition shortly after the completion of the Japanese version, I have my reasons for making it in Japanese, so bear with me here.

Oh, and this really isn't my 3rd project, more like, 10,000th, but whatever. This one should be short.

EDIT: Wait...

3rd game, others not finished, HD, in a language you do not understand

I'll give it 3 weeks.

Otherwise good luck i guess. My only suggestion is to make it in English first, because i see no reason in you showing a japanese game to a forum board full of people who speak english.

I wouldn't care if it was in german, so moonrunes is worse

What little text there will be, I can certainly understand.

Now, who else can at least read Japanese?

Japanese Teacher here. ;)

Proficiency Tests (Nouryoku Shiken) already made. ;D

btw, give ur skype via PM so I can show u that pokemon mockup that I promissed you a few weeks ago ;D

You don't have 10 posts yet, so PMs won't work. I'll just send you an invite straight through Skype.

EDIT: のうりょくしんけんはきせいひん?はたまたきせいかんねん?

おぼえますください、ぼくは日本語二年生です。

TailsSena:

能力試験 (aka Nouryoku Shiken) is like an TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language), from Cambridge University, but is from Japan Foundation. Is done once (or twice, depending the country) in a year to test the user's ability to talk, listen, read, understand and his grammar skills.

Good ways (I mean, games/softwares) to train your skills:

NJStar - A japanese typewriting software, I used it since Win 2000/XP, good for looking for kanjis and helps you to type if you don't have Japanese IME Keyboard installed (before windows seven, that was a huge problem).

Rakubiji Jiten - Japanese dictionary for Nintendo DS (best portable dictionary, with handwriting recongition and possible uses for each kanji/sentence).

This one I think that you already do but anyway, is listening japanese music (exceptionally female voices from pop, because they've a clear and understandable voice) and watch some animes or Doramas (Japanese TV Series).

Ps.: あなたの頭が良い、頑張ってね。

私は12歳から日本語を勉強します。

----

About the screens, I would change them xD

Baisu = vice (not multi or many), its better use 多人数, but remember, japaneses doesn't use "multi" or "many", they usually use 2~4人...

Options doesn't have a "ZU", it's just Opushyon.

The overall responses from the menus was very good =]

Where you did them?

\o

TailsSena:

能力試験 (aka Nouryoku Shiken) is like an TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language), from Cambridge University, but is from Japan Foundation. Is done once (or twice, depending the country) in a year to test the user's ability to talk, listen, read, understand and his grammar skills.

Good ways (I mean, games/softwares) to train your skills:

NJStar - A japanese typewriting software, I used it since Win 2000/XP, good for looking for kanjis and helps you to type if you don't have Japanese IME Keyboard installed (before windows seven, that was a huge problem).

Rakubiji Jiten - Japanese dictionary for Nintendo DS (best portable dictionary, with handwriting recongition and possible uses for each kanji/sentence).

This one I think that you already do but anyway, is listening japanese music (exceptionally female voices from pop, because they've a clear and understandable voice) and watch some animes or Doramas (Japanese TV Series).

Ps.: あなたの頭が良い、頑張ってね。

私は12歳から日本語を勉強します。

----

About the screens, I would change them xD

Baisu = vice (not multi or many), its better use 多人数, but remember, japaneses doesn't use "multi" or "many", they usually use 2~4人...

Options doesn't have a "ZU", it's just Opushyon.

The overall responses from the menus was very good =]

Where you did them?

\o

Whoa, just because my IME turns things into Kanji doesn't mean I can read all of it. ひらがなでくでさいよ!

And, what do you mean, "Where did I get the responses from the menus?"

EDIT: Oh, and yes, 「多人数 / たにんず」, is the proper term, since I don't yet know how many players I'll allow in multiplayer.

Also, my primary resource is Denshi Josho. (www.jisho.org/)

EDIT2: Oh, and I do like to play most of my old PS2 games in Japanese, since you know, plenty of PS2 games let you as a result of the DVD format.

@Overbound: Some of the sprites I made myself. I made most of the UI, but the Puyos and Characters I pulled from spritesheets.

What did I use? A mouse, MMF2's image editor, and MS Paint 8. Oh, and MMF's gradient tools.

TailsSena, Putting in romanji:

あなたの頭が良い、頑張ってね。

Anata no Atama ga Ii, Ganbatte ne.

私は12歳から日本語を勉強します。

Watashi ha 12sai kara Nihongo wo Benkyoshimasu.

--

About the "responses", was about the speed and interactions of the menu, they are very good and simple =] What I meant to say is, did you used the normal "if/else" from the MF2 Logic system, or used something else like flash? I'm asking because UDK recommends you to use Flash Menus and integrate them into your game. xD But as I already read your comment, seems that you used only MF2... So, pretty impressive.

Ps.: I already answered you in Skype, later look there...

;D

TailsSena, Putting in romanji:

あなたの頭が良い、頑張ってね。

Anata no Atama ga Ii, Ganbatte ne.

私は12歳から日本語を勉強します。

Watashi ha 12sai kara Nihongo wo Benkyoshimasu.

あ。。。 とんでもない。

ヘええ?! 12さいから? おめでとうございます!

About the "responses", was about the speed and interactions of the menu, they are very good and simple =] What I meant to say is, did you used the normal "if/else" from the MF2 Logic system, or used something else like flash? I'm asking because UDK recommends you to use Flash Menus and integrate them into your game. xD But as I already read your comment, seems that you used only MF2... So, pretty impressive.

Ps.: I already answered you in Skype, later look there...

;D

Yes, just MMF2. It's really not too hard to do. Though there is one massive bug that you can't see.

There's supposed to be a 3rd menu that extends from 一人でぷよぷよ and 多人数でぷよぷよ... But the runtime decides to effectively skip it because you're still holding the button and it just goes onto the next set of instructions.

Cleberson, very clever =P

I remember that he already mentioned that after the japanese release would have an Update or other release of an English version.

TailsSena:

Not only that bug xD

You can also press "down" or "up" button even if there's only one option. (found at Options menu)

=D

Hey TailsSena, your HD remake of Puyo Puyo will have a menu of Language Selection?

Actually, I might. But I'm still thinking a separate English version would be nice.

Not only that bug xD

You can also press "down" or "up" button even if there's only one option. (found at Options menu)

=D

Intentional, since there may eventually be multiple options.

Well, here's two new demos...

The Japanese version hasn't changed much, just added another detail, but I now have an English version, since it seems to be so craved.

日本語

English

Note: In true-to-SEGA fashion, the English version is called "Puyo Pop" instead of "Puyo Puyo."

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot... I wasn't able to change the Title Screen's 'ぷよぷよ in the English Version, due to the inexistence of an equivalent "Puyo Pop" text that doesn't also include the work "Fever"

EDIT2: English Screenshot...

MG39E.png

That's right. I play as Raffine, the

Alpha Bitch of the cast

• 2 weeks later...

There is so much wrong with this project and I have no idea where to start.

*takes a breath*

1. Back when I was an admin, I wouldn't have let threads like this slide. Starting a thread WITHOUT posting a substantial amount of content is very stupid and frowned upon. What we have here is 2 menus and a "demo" of a title screen.

2. Why the flying dutchman are you even starting with the menus? At the very least you should be focusing on the fricking Puyo engine. You know, the thing that's 99% OF THE GAME. At the very least try to make it, who knows if you'll be able to or not.

3. Where's Arle? Seriously.

4. Linking to TVTropes in your posts like some kind of clever guy is really fricking stupid. See this comic.

5. Where the fuck is Arle?

6. What are you even trying to accomplish with this? Was there some kind of high demand for Puyo in HD? Are you just out to make games with every franchise ever? I can tell you this from experience, starting multiple projects is a great way to get nothing done, making yourself into a (bigger) fool in the process.

Seriously. Stop. As much as I an many others would like to see you totally self destruct, try to have a little dignity around here. Honestly I wouldn't have even seen this thread if it wasn't for one of said others linking it to me. I also happen to be an avid Puyo player, this whole besmirching of it is about as bad as the time someone used Persona 4 battle music in a crappy Digimon game. Although at least that game had demos for more than just menus.

Ka-

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

oh Ila, dont be a superjerk, lay off the guy. As much as I wanted to rail him for this topic being an awkward Otaku japanese circlejerk I think you shat on him a bit harder than even I was wanting to. Then again....

...Sena, go work on your other game and stop starting "new projects" every 10 days. You will never get anything done, and since you havent even finished a Sonic game yet, you should stop while you're behind. SFGHQ basically hands you everything you need to finish a Sonic Game and you've lost interest. What gasoline-drenched ballsack's chance in hell do you have of finishing an > HD < remake of a game you have to program from scratch?

It isn't a "New Project", it's just a "New procrastination", and it really doesn't make much sense at all because you haven't finished a damn thing yet your projects get more and more ambitious the more you burp them up.

And FYI (here it comes...!)....nobody cares about the japanese language. Sure it sounds awesome to yell out when joking with your friends, but we've all grown up and we stopped caring around 15. Earlier for some of us. I don't really remember when for me. But it doesn't matter. Because Anime stuff sucks now. Nobody cares about that Moe/Lolita/Harem/look-im-crazy-and-unpredictable fuckshit garbage that it pumps into and corrupts absolutely everything with these days.

Just sayin'. Of course im sure you knew that. I just wanted to tell somebody else.

And Ila is our designated memewhore hound-pony. He will fuck your shit up.

And yes TV Tropes is awesome, we already know. You linking to it in every post just makes you seem like that kid who got the joke too late. Or that kid who kills the joke. Its the kind of thing you chestheave to in the darkness of your room, and then someone asks whats so funny, and you say nothing.

I'm sorry but what substance does this game have besides screenshots of a crappy menu and japanese text? Not to mention all the project hopping which pretty much guarantees this will be scrapped so quick once the next big idea hits your head.

I guess the biggest question I have though why puyo puyo? there's plenty of puyo puyo games available, what makes you think a fan made version of it will be any better than the official games. Don't get me wrong, I fucking LOVE mean bean and puyo and all those knock offs, but I just don't see any reason to pump out an "HD" version of this franchise, especially a fan made one.

And to think ila told ME to chill once... seriously, though, I'll have to agree on this one too. It's nice to come up with things, but wanting isn't the same as having. If you have a project, you also have a responsibility to finish it, or at least cancel it and move on. If you've lost interest in other plans for real, let people know... keeping so much stuff floating around is a great way to bring it all crashing down on you, it will make you give up before your time.

Specifically for this one, I get the feeling you wanted a reason to practice your japanese and apply it to something. That's fun, but don't advertise it like that. Why not just stick to screenshots with english text translated to japanese? I mean, releasing info about a project without the gameplay is a bad approach and once you've practiced enough, you could apply japanese to a project you'll actually want to finish. Think about it.

it doesn't seem like you've really planned/thought this through; which is why I think everyone is ragging on you.

you've not really shown anything in terms of project scale other than "might have online... might have 8 way multiplayer".

I'm not a game designer, but if someone were to announce a new game and wanted me to get interested in it, the last thing I'd give a flying pissflap about is the menus.

Also, the other reason people are reacting negatively is that you seem to think that the main appeal of this game is that it's going to be in japanese; something I imagine the majority of us don't care about.

If you're going to do an HD remake of a game that already exists, wait until you have some actual content (i.e. some nice hi-res graphics or at least a semi-working engine) or be totally prepared to take some flack.