A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Compatibility, my greatest enemy...

Well, I have the PC version of Sonic Generations, obviously through Steam. It ran okay-ish, until I updated my laptop.

(The "okay-ish" being the fault of my laptop's i5 GPU.)

Now that I'm running Windows 8 CP, Steam itself still runs, but Sonic Generations just shows me a black screen! I've tried it in compatibility mode for Win7, but then I get a phenomenal 5-15fps! (As opposed to 20-50 back when I actually ran Win7.)

What to do...?

Can anybody come up with a better idea?

Why would you use a beta OS outside of a testing environment (a VM for instance)? Your best bet is to stay with 7, even when 8 comes out: not all vendors upgrade their drivers for new iterations of Windows, so incompatibilities will probably happen.

Well, I do have another (Desktop) I can use. It's on Vista, but we've got it stable...

Thing is I just don't really want to leave Windows 8, it's so nice.

I'll just... Not play the game on my laptop until Steam gets an update, then.

Anyway, gsoft... It's not the CPU that's the problem, both of my computers have no problems with that, it's that both of them run on integrated GPUs.

Thanks for the support, I guess...

Processor is fine. Integrated graphics that come with most i5's are still on the severe low end.

Yup.

Quad core CPU @ 2.53GHz == No problems

Integrated GPU == Good for videos and emulators, but real games? Nope.

EDIT: Got everything ready on my desktop when...

1VQ1H.png

This can't be good...

And yet on my laptop...

bx9qY.png

Compatibility aside, this would normally (under Win7) get me a shaky 40fps...

INTEL, Y U SUCK SO BAD?!

Intel, I'm really not seeing what you mean by this...

EDIT: I believe my laptop runs the HD2000. All the Device manager will tell me is that I have ~2GB of VRAM.

And I know for a fact that Intel no longer supports my desktop's GPU.

Your going to rip an integrated graphics chip off your old laptop and put it on your new one?... I highly recommend that.

Edit: Sorry that was just kind of funny. You can't replace integrated graphics they're part of the motherboard.

Everyone should take the above statement to heart though. If you want to play 3D games don't get a laptop without an Nividia or ATI sticker on it.

Your going to rip an integrated graphics chip off your old laptop and put it on your new one?... I highly recommend that.

Edit: Sorry that was just kind of funny. You can't replace integrated graphics they're part of the motherboard.

This is a forum. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic through text...

EDIT in response to your edit...

Not replacing it, rather supplementing it... I know you can do that with a desktop, so what about a laptop?

I don't have much experience replacing parts in laptops. Its my understanding that most of the time its not possible. I'm guessing your laptop doesn't have a PCIe slot but I'm just guessing. Like I said I don't have experience changing or upgrading laptops.

My old one had a PCI slot, but this one doesn't. I guess it's just too new...

My old one had a PCI slot, but this one doesn't. I guess it's just too new...

No, you can't. You would need to hack your motherboard in unimaginable ways, wich would involve you being a genius electronics engineer with a deep understanding of your laptop's circuitry. If you're thinking on using other buses avaiable on your laptop, modern laptops have a PCI Express slot (ExpressCard) but it's bandwidth is far too low to manage a proper graphics card. Same for USB 3.0.

tl;dr. No.

Then can I put it in my Desktop?

I did build the whole thing myself.

You would still require to have an engineering title. To be honest, why bother? If your motherboard is semi-modern, your integrated GPU is probably faster than the one of the laptop you want to rip. Instead, why don't just buy a low end graphics card? They are actually pretty cheap and will probably give you far more perfomance than the integrated one.

Related

Oh god.

I am reminded how miserably I failed at installing my Sound Card... Plugged a power cord into it. Thankfully it did nothing, instead of frying the dumb thing.

But the CD it comes with just doesn't work! It doesn't see that I have the thing plugged in, even though Vista itself is all "Oh hey, I see you've installed new hardware, let me suck up all my resources looking for it's software! Good, 'k. I think I'll just crash now."

EDIT:

Oh, and this is what Windows think of my laptop...

trMHz.png

If I get such a high score on gaming graphics, then what the FUCK is the requirement for Generations? 10.1?

Uh, a little tip about that windows "score" bullshit:

It's worthless.

Disk speed is almost always the lowest score (unless you got an SSD), and using this so called score as a reference won't be helpful at all.

Also, an integrated card is enough for snazzy Aero window effects, but not a rather complex game.

Uh, a little tip about that windows "score" bullshit:

It's worthless.

Disk speed is almost always the lowest score (unless you got an SSD), and using this so called score as a reference won't be helpful at all.

Also, an integrated card is enough for snazzy Aero window effects, but not a rather complex game.

I noticed. All of that... Why, SEGA, why...

Oh well. I'm gonna try and play it anyway. But this time, fiddling with Power Settings... Fun...

EDIT:

n4uGl.png

Oh, yes. This will be fun.

I am indeed trying to kill my computer at this point.

EDIT2: Oh, what the actual fuck?! It's running flawlessly, and I left compatibility off!

Oh, yeah. Now that it runs beautifully (for reasons unknown, but I won't complain), I do have one gripe about this game...

Classic. Sonic. Controls. Like. Poop.