A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ideal Control Scheme

For my game at the moment, the only buttons that are being used are the arrows and 'A' 'S' 'D' keys. Left & Right to move, A to jump, down to roll, etc.

The issue I have is that theres too many abilities. I added a Style system(Up arrow changes the style) to split speed techniques and fighting techniques apart so I could avoid adding too many button combinations. At the moment, my current control setup is getting crowded with combinations and I need more button for the abilities: Whats an ideal button setup that people would find easy and comfortable that uses more than the standard 3 button layout?

eg:

• A,S,D,F
  • A,S,D,Z,X,C
  • A,S,D,W,X

What kind of game are you making? I think you should try not to use more than 3 buttons.

If you really need more buttons than A,S,D I think I would prefer A,S,D,Q,W,E. Or if you need only one extra button, A,S,D,Shift.

(But it would be nice to give the player the option to reconfigure the keys, since I'm actually using an AZERTY keyboard.)

My game is a Sonic game with RPG & beat em up elements so the 3 buttons that I'm using are already crowded with abilities that you gain.

Those 2 examples you gave seem decent so I'll try them out. As for reconfiguring keys, I'll add that option once I have everything set out

@TailsSena: That could help save some space. I haven't played Cave story so I'm guessing how its system works.

@Ayling: I'll try that layout out as well. That forth button would be a huge help.

Alright, ASDQWE seems to be best layout at the moment with the cave story item abilities. Thanks for the feedback guys

I highly recommend you to stay in the main patter of Arrows and WASD, and Left Shift, Left Ctrl, Left Alt and SpaceBar for special buttons, plus Enter and Right Shift for the rest. They correspond to the amount of buttons of a common PS3/X360 gamepad. Anything more than that shouldn't be necessary.

And - why not? - Gamepad support and key changing support would be freaking great if your game really needs more than Arrows, WASD and Enter.

I highly recommend you to stay in the main patter of Arrows and WASD, and Left Shift, Left Ctrl, Left Alt and SpaceBar for special buttons, plus Enter and Right Shift for the rest. They correspond to the amount of buttons of a common PS3/X360 gamepad. Anything more than that shouldn't be necessary.

And - why not? - Gamepad support and key changing support would be freaking great if your game really needs more than Arrows, WASD and Enter.

On paper that sounds great, but in reality... The keys you mentioned are WAY too far apart to be used in a smooth and flowing manner, especially if it's a Sonic game, considering just how fast they tend to be.

Not only easy but I have to make sure its comfortable to play. Originally, I had space bar as light dash and it didn't really help players.

Anyway, LH's suggestion seems better than the scheme I chose above so and people are talking about configuring controls so thats a new priority.