A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Help] HTC The Tomorrow Talks

Damizean

logo.png

Good morning fellas,

Sorry for this sort of "spam" thread, but I need your help :) HTC along with some of the universities of Europe, organized a contest with ideas of future smartphones. The winning team gets a ten-day holiday to a destination of their choice :)

My team and I have entered the contest with a simple and feasible idea. Basically, we propose the creation of a dockable gadget that would let the user control the phone remotely. Please check out the YouTube video for more info.

A couple of additional ideas for the usage of the gadget were left out due to time constraints, but the same device's bus could be used as an expansion port, that could allow other hi-speed devices to be plugged into the phone (a la ExpressCard), bringing a lot more possibilities to your phone.

Please, we'd like to have your support and your friends' if that would be possible :) Thank you!

[TTT Entry]

P.S. To support the entry you'll have to use the social media buttons and view/like the YouTube video.

I'm actually not very fond of this idea. First, I don't think that is small enough to use as a keychain, at least not for most sane people. Second, that whole... find your remote from the couch thing, that assumes first that you actually undocked the keychain in the first place and second that you haven't lost it as well (I loathe to think about how much time I spend looking for my own remote controls).

If it really were something keychain sized, then it might be kind of neat... at least as long as docking wasn't actually necessary. I use my keys frequently and if I never have to take anything off of my keychain, I basically never lose it.

I do think smart phones becoming more like computers in the sense of being able to add hardware and such is something that should eventually happen though.

I'm actually very not fond of this idea. First, I don't think that is small enough to use as a keychain, at least not for most sane people. Second, that whole... find your remote from the couch thing, that assumes first that you actually undocked the keychain in the first place and second that you haven't lost it as well (I loathe to think about how much time I spend looking for my own remote controls).

If it really were something keychain sized, then it might be kind of neat... at least as long as docking wasn't actually necessary. I use my keys frequently and if I never have to take anything off of my keychain, I basically never lose it.

I do think smart phones becoming more like computers in the sense of being able to add hardware and such is something that should eventually happen though.

Haha, unfortunately the idea isn't really that innovative, but due time constraints we weren't able to expand and do a better presentation. Yeah, the chances of actually losing the remote along with the phone are pretty much high. However, I'm also very prone to lose sight of my phone while it's on vibration mode, specially when I'm at home, but I never lose my keys. It will actually help me out in this aspect.

The additional features were thought when trying to expand the idea from a simple locator remote. We discovered Google Wallet when the deadline was nigh, so we didn't have the time to rethink for other and better features.

Yeah, I'm not actually specially fond of the actual remote thing, a watch could've been better but then we found that also existed :(

In the end, this video was made as an assignment for a subject to obtain an extra point in the final score. This is sort of additional, even if we don't win (wich we wont ofc) at least if we get up to the top-8 we get to travel to Auschwitz, and I'd really like to go with my girlfriend :)

My only question... How/Why would you loose your phone and be too lazy to look for it?

Plus, why would you ever want remote access to something in your pocket, from something on a chain, which is in the same pocket?

You say you haven't ever been lazy to try search your phone around? Or at least, went mad trying to finding it? xD

As for remote access, the answer is simple. Nowadays phones can be used as media centers, so you can pretty much hook your phone to your sound system or your TV to play content. The case of use for the features are those situations, you could remotely change the song or video without having leaving your sofa.

P.S. This video made me hate Flash with passion and I'm never going to use it again.

I know looking for things is one of my most hated pastimes... I just think that where all of this is really moving to is just universal connectivity with everything. That way, no matter which little doodad you are missing, you can always remotely tell it to make noise with something else. I like the idea of a little key chain minimicrocomputer device type thing with the local capabilities of a smart phone (minus the phone part), don't get me wrong, but I see it less as a future concept of smart phones and more of just something that interacts with the arsenal of interconnected devices, like any other 4g/whatever device.

That said, I still +1'd your video. I don't think the idea sucks, I just think it is something that should be a little different from what was envisioned.