A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Sonic Topic of Mysterious Things and Fridge Horror

Clouder

Sonic has a lot of video game secrets, but also some very disturbing things and a load of fridge horror. In this topic you can discuss anything disturbing in the Sonic series.

Starting off:

The Japanese translation means:

Fun is infinite with SEGA Enterprises

-Satan

This used to scare me but now that we're men  I just can look at it with a straight face. 

Here's some more fridge horror with the message:

The Sonics in the background are supposed to be Mario's head. My theory is that Sonic is wearing poor Mario's skinned face.

GOTCHA RIGHT IN THE CHILDHOOD DIDN'T I?

tumblr_m9fhpgDqcE1rw70wfo1_500.png

CAN'T UNSEE

I'll post more in the morning. Don't wanna give you nightmares :P !

Eggman's moustache is fake? RUINED FOREVER!

Copy-and-pasted from TV Tropes:

"Keep in mind that, even without Gerald, the world of fifty years ago was still more advanced than nowadays-they still had mechs, and an active enough space program to create the Space Colony ARK. It's reasonable to assume that this happened at least 20-odd years from now. If so, the Cold War in the Sonic universe lasted over 80 years."

I'm not sure how that works, but it sounds bad.

Here's some more fridge horror from TVtropes!

E-102 Gamma and E-123 Omega easily and voluntarily made a Heel Face Turn. In Sonic Generations, Egg Pawns can become attracted to Rouge and voluntarily stop attacking when they do. Conclusion: Robots are sentient beings that have emotions and personalities. Sonic doesn't destroy inanimate objects, he gleefully commits genocide.

Several badniks with self-destruct mechanisms also contain animals. If Sonic smashes them, the animal is freed, whereas if they successfully detonate as weapons, the animal will not survive.

Now for Eggman's disturbing past!

Speaking of SA 2, the massacre on the ARK may have had a larger reaching impact than we thought. Eggman reveals that, as a child, he idolized his grandfather for trying to make the world a better place-hinting before he became a villain, Eggman likely wanted to improve humanity(and still may want to improve us.) Given the events on the ARK, the young Eggman likely saw G.U.N as corrupt. There's also the fact his parents would be incredibly paranoid of the government for killing Gerald and Maria. This would lead to a skewed upbringing for Eggman, and add his likely contempt for G.U.N, and it's pretty likely one of the major motivators for Eggman's villainy originates from the ARK massacre. If so, everything Eggman has done in the games maynever had happened if the GUN soldiers decided not to shut down the ARK. This means that, if it wasn't for them, the millions who've died as a result of Eggman screwing around forces man should not know and incalculable powers would still be alive.Furthermore, in all the Adventure games, Shadow and 2006, Eggman is clearly attacking countries affiliated with GUN (The most logical explanation for Soleanna to have GUN tech and crates is that they're a GUN-aligned country). It looks like he really, really holds it against GUN for ruining his Grandfather.

Another detail of serious consideration is that Robotnik as a name is a real East European (Polish/Russian) name. Fifty Years Ago could well have been during the Cold War. This also means that the Professor Gerald was a victim of Cold War paranoia, and it is highly likely the rest of the Robotnik family suffered the repercussions of Gerald being tried and executed and having their family name stained. Suddenly Dr Eggman's past becomes a lot more bleak, either being ostracised due to his East European "commie" heritage in the US-like GUN states, or sent back to live in disgrace in the Iron Curtain bloc.

In Sonic Sat AM, Dr. Robotnik turns innocent civilians into robots. They likely then were made to help the swatbots drag their own loved ones kicking and screaming to the Roboticizer to suffer the same fate, ratting out any hiding places they knew of. And were aware of it.

• 3 months later...

I still think the biggest fridge horror in the series was the implication of Tails' death in Sonic 2. However, I found that concept 600 times creepier after reading this bit of Wild Mass Guessing on TV Tropes (and in no way is this true, might I add, but it still gives me chills):

Robotnik steals Tails' soul in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Game Gear.

If you cheat to get to the last level instead of getting all the Chaos Emeralds, you get the bad ending (Sonic alone, Tails in the sky) EVEN THOUGH Tails appeared in the teleporter.

The rescue didn't count for some reason, it seems. Why?

Robotnik did something to Tails after capturing him (which is why he captured Tails alone and didn't capture Sonic at the end of Underground Zone Act 3), which did something to him; he Came Back Wrong.

I think that Robotnik stole Tails's soul to power some kind of doomsday weapon. After rescuing the comatose Tails, Sonic carries him all the way home, tries to feed him some mushed up baby food, talks to him for a while, tucks him in bed, reads him a bedtime story, and watches over him all night and all day from that point, hoping he'll recover.

I remember someone in the fandom creating a comic with the concept of this lore,but I can't seem to remember where it was or how to find it. All I know was that it was heart-wrenching. 

Edited by OHOHO1227