A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Picture Books of the Universe

snow toilet

Anyone else find these just absolutely fascinating?

Probably the most gorgeous pieces of natural art there are can be seen in these 300 or so page books.

I have been quite the collector of these since I was in elementary school, which was way back in the day like 1990's.

You can find them in all sorts of page sizes too.

These photographs from the Hubble Telescope can make my mind wander farther than I could ever imagine.

Does anyone else feel this way all in the same?

It doesn't necessarily have to be these books but they are the only place where you can find excellent quality samples of the cosmos.

There... There aren't any links here! I don't know what to follow! It's pandemonium!

It's kind of hard to link pictures from a book.

But here are a few links to some of the books that are still out there for sale and well worth the time and money.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Picture-Atlas-Universe/dp/079222731X

Though this one isn't a hard cover it's probably the best out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Definitive-Visual-Martin-Rees/dp/0756636701/ref=pd_sim_b_2

deep_space_clouds-wide.jpg

orion_seip.jpg

Space+Chicken.jpg

Some minor examples of the beauty you will find.

That last one was astounding.

Makes you start to realize that even though you'll be dead and most likely forgotten by Earth's society it will be probable we will be able to travel farther than what the Hubble can see.

Flipping through these can make one start playing space ship shooter games.

I enjoy a lot of scrolling shooters centered around cosmic war for that very reason.

Galactic Attack would probably be one of them, though only for the first two levels does it take place in space.

Fortunately there are a lot available, mostly imports, for the Sega Saturn and PSX.

Quite perfect for those systems as they're capable of more colors for better backgrounds and effects.

Some of the more obscure and underrated shooters for the PSX like Jupiter Strike and Novastorm are more good examples.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the general shapes may be accurate, none of those cameras photograph in color. The colors are added later, with filters.

"The colors in Hubble images are neither 'true' colors nor 'false' colors, but usually are representative of the physical processes underlying the subjects of the images. They are a way to represent in a single image as much information as possible that's available in the data."

http://www.universetoday.com/11863/true-or-false-color-the-art-of-extraterrestrial-photography/