A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So I've started to try and learn Unity

Rawr

I've got it downloaded and ready to go, and I decided to download that 3D platformer tutorial from the site to try and see what it can teach me...but all I feel I am doing right now is learning how to drag and drop things and not really how to do anything myself.

What I want to try and learn is how to make a 3rd person platformer and infuse it with some 3D shootemup type elements like Star Fox and stuff. I haven't started on any of the graphical components to this idea yet since I want to try and build the engine first. I realize that sounds like a really odd combo but it looks cool in my head.

In order to do this though I want to learn how to actually work with the engine itself...unfortunately I can't seem to find somewhere where I can learn this sort of stuff. Right now I feel like I am learning absolutely nothing from this tutorial and I don't know if its just me, but the Unity site doesn't really offer much in the way of support. I've looked at that script wiki they have and at the tutorials and I really don't see much in the way of that either.

The main reason I am jumping into Unity as opposed to using UDK (where I know how to import content already) is because I find UDK really complex for a beginner like me to just jump into script-wise. Unity seems a lot more beginner friendly (though I'm sure its certainly not easier). I'm extremely dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I'd like something easy to follow but isn't just "open the project file and put this here and drag this there".

tl;dr: Dumb graphics guy trying to do smart coder guy things.

If you can't code, you can't do Unity. It doesn't have any kind of magic drag and drop interface where you can do some easy but stupid event coding ala MMF. You should really try to learn a little C# first.

That said, there is more to Unity than just the code that it runs for you. Learning the model importers and such is pretty important too.

I guess so, then I just find it really funny how the tutorials I'm following that they offer up on their site so far have amounted to just 'drag and drop' which is the problem.

But I guess I can always still learn the process of importing models and the like, since the graphics side of things is more my thing.