A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Pier solar 3rd run selling out in a hurry

Its already sold out twice I think. Very quickly too, and the third run is almost dry too.

The game is really solid with what I've played so far, possibly one of my favorite genesis games even, and I would highly recommend it to fans of the sega genesis, and old school RPG's.

Due to the fact that it can't be emulated, and copies on Ebay and such are horribly expensive, I would recommend picking it up if you're thinking about it, because you might regret it later.

-Oh shit I might want to link to the website wouldn't I?

They'll explain more of it there, and I'm sure you kids know how to use the googles.

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/

Just a quick heads up to those interested.

Check out dis image quality, Its rad.

Picture305.jpg

This is my copy.

So, yes, It would appear it is in fact a game for the mega drive/Genesis.

The carts work in any region as well.

Obviously since the console is not supported by sega anymore, the game isn't actually licensed by sega. But aside from that it's pretty fucking legit.

Nobody's been able to dump/emulate the game, but it works on all official systems just fine.

You can also Pre-order the soundtrack, which comes with a CD for the Mega/Sega CD and by using it with the cart, you can play the game with a high quality soundtrack.

Also the cart is a whopping 64 Megs, as if you couldn't already tell from my image.

Considering that I ordered it first notice, Just got it, and their already starting to sell out (for the 3rd or 4th time?) I doubt it will be up for much longer. Watermelon has a history of leaving huge gaps between production runs too. I had just missed the last run almost a year ago if memory serves, and I was sad ;_;

pier-solar-megadrive-1294323603-001.jpg

pier-solar-megadrive-1294323603-003.jpg

Its a turn-based RPG, and a rather good one at that. Its DAYUM beautiful for a genesis game, with full screen images used to help convey the story and So far its consistently challenging without being unfair, (aside from one puzzle I had to find a walk-through for, holy crap what the hell?)

It might not be an emulation issue but a dump issue. Perhaps the dumpers can't handle the huge cart size?

Or maybe it has custom chips.

Looks interesting, but it's a steep price. Reminds me of the Battle Kid project for the NES.

I like the enhanced soundtrack option, but I don't have a Sega CD. :<

EDIT: Wow, it even includes multiple languages. Hopefully there will be a fourth run... Better grab a Sega CD before that.

Does a model 2 CD unit (side type) work with a model 1 Genesis?

I know they integrated flash memory into the cart, Im not entirely sure how all that stuff works, but Imagine that would require some custom chips.

They've also got Pre-orders up for the second set of languages now.

First one has English, German, and french. (selling out)

EP edition has English, Spanish, and Portuguese. (pre orders for April)

Also Battle kid looks pretty freaking cool. Not the kind of game I would want to spend money on though. Just not my thing.

Hmm, the EP edition sounds better for me.

And instead of Battle Kid... you can always try out I Wanna Be The Guy for free. Hope your R key doesn't break.

EDIT: Read some info over at Sega Retro. The flash memory does play a part in the inability to get a good dump of the game. Still, apparently there is a device that WILL dump it. But emulators will crash anyway.

I really want to get this now...

EDIT2: Oh fuck no. "Credit card payments via Paypal"? Fuuuuuuuck. There's no paypal here, so I guess I'm screwed :[

I've played a bit of I wanna be they guy, its not that hard, its more about unfair deaths, and I really didn't give it much of chance.

Battle Kid looks quite a bit better, but I'm not a huge fan of difficult platformers, Then again I did manage to blast through Cave story. I might try to find a demo, or rom of it, and see if its something I would like. I'm pretty sure there's a beta rom floating around somewhere for pier solar as well.

Battle Kid isn't really difficult imo but some parts are aggrivating. It's a lot better than IWBTG which it was based off of.

Sivak said something about the second one being complete a month or so back, it might even be out idk. You can find a ROM of the first one on the intranets somewhere though.

I do have a morbid curiosity now. If the game is still in stock when my tax return arrives, I will buy it.

Trust me when I say it should be plenty in stock.

And it's just the first print that's going expensive which I'm not sure why people are that ignorant.

Video games aren't collectors items.

They're for playing.

No one's going to pay $300 because that's unheard of.

I have the first run that came with the Mega CD disc but have never used it because I don't own a Sega CD.

The first print should only be going for how much it was originally intended to be sold at.

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1541&f=28

That's the .iso uploaded by WM for use with the reprint editions, You just need to burn it to a disk. I personally feel that the cartridge sounds have more umph, and the cd sound is floaty and airy, but thats probably just me.

Some people had issues with it skipping so they edited it a bit, (much larger filesize) and it fixed those issues. Here's the link to that as well: -Shit nevermind Megaupload is down. Basically all he did was add a dummy file to fill the whole disk, For whatever reason that makes it easier for older disk drives to read the disk.

I guess there's no skipping on the packaged disks because those are packed with some extra content or something.