A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

RedBookin' some goddamn Sonic music

Ristar

hmm shouldn't have clipped at all, I checked the overall volume before exporting to video. Weird eh? :D

Yeah ahha, it must have been something fucked on my end of things because now its gone. Then again youtube acts up sometimes for whatever reason on my computer (it also loves to flicker green once in a while).

I really liked Death Egg but it seems that some instruments are missing. That is nono if you wanna update music without changing it.

And why so much electric guitar in mushroom hill?

Other than that awesome music.

instruments missing? nope. everything is there, including the weird fucked up fm synth bit, with the addition of the electric guitar. If you listen to the original there is a kick and snare, bass, pad-synth and the messed up weird fm synth thing.

I obviously don't want to get all arsey about it but it's not like I just imported someone else's midi like most people on youtube do, I listen to every song about a hundred times to transcribe every part by ear. I've just done Chrome Gadget and the square channel alone took me about an hour and a half.

As for the leccy guitar in Mushroom Hill... it sounded pretty cool to me. I couldn't get any synth to sound like it fit in place so I just added guitar and I liked it. Reminded me of Jun Senoue's remix of Green Grove in Sonic Adventure.

Thanks for listening though! :D

It's a real shame you don't get more views and subcribers Andy, I swear everything you do sounds great.

These remixes are fab and you manage to breathe some originality into them while keeping them still somewhat nostalgic, I think you hit the nail on the head with these. I'm in a real hurry right now with things and I really wish I could be more in-depth but these are simply fantastic!

It's a real shame you don't get more views and subcribers Andy, I swear everything you do sounds great.

These remixes are fab and you manage to breathe some originality into them while keeping them still somewhat nostalgic, I think you hit the nail on the head with these. I'm in a real hurry right now with things and I really wish I could be more in-depth but these are simply fantastic!

hahah thanks a lot. I'm just gonna keep posting videos/songs and just see if I can get a ball rolling.

I finished Chrome Gadget... that was probably the hardest song out of them all.

http://youtu.be/5Zjm50_-3IY

instruments missing? nope. everything is there, including the weird fucked up fm synth bit, with the addition of the electric guitar. If you listen to the original there is a kick and snare, bass, pad-synth and the messed up weird fm synth thing.

Oh sorry. They are just really quiet. I think in the original they weren't so quiet that I couldn't tell what notes they are carrying though...

Anyway still great remixes. Looking forward for more.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I've remastered one of the tracks I wrote for the never-to-be-made Spikeball Island:

http://soundcloud.com/tunners/ruin-lake

It's a little long, but it incorporates both acts from the stage (so Act 1 twice, then Act 2 twice because I wanted to have it loop).

Also labyrinth zone: http://youtu.be/nRqEuTFFvTQ

edit: not sure if anyone has been inspired or whatever by the remasters I've been doing, but I've managed to amass quite a few patches for the Synth1 VSTi, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in downloading the patch collection if I released it? It's only 12 instruments but it's got a few different bass sounds, some pad sounds and leads - many of them based on megadrive sounds.

I sound like a broken record all the time but I love these, keep it up hah. The remaster of your original track is ace quality too.

Edit: I gotta know though, how the hell do you figure these out so fast. I'm trying to figure out 'IDOLA' have the immortal feather from PSO and I am having a hell of a time haha. The Sonic 3 competition menu was super easy to figure out, I think I might be trying too complicated of a track here. Like...how do you go about figuring this stuff out?

a lot of it is perseverance. I usually try and zone in on one sound (a bassline is usually the easiest to do) and listen to a bar, then transcribe it. I'll usually listen to each bit about 4 or 5 times (maybe more if it's complicated).

some of the tunes are REALLY tough though (the square channel in Chrome Gadget for instance) so I also use XMPlay and a plugin called in_vgm which lets you mute channels on VGM files. Kind of cheaty, but makes life easier.

best thing to do is just concentrate on one instrument at a time and just listen to each section over and over again :)