A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How would one create a MegaMan esk game in MMF2?

Daniel

I had the weirdest idea and I wanted to execute it.

However, I do not know much about MMF2, other than just messing around with it and trial and error and making pretty menus and all, but I am wondering, how would I make some sort of Mega Man-esk platformer without the use of the *shudder* platform movement in MMF2?

Also, move if in wrong section.

I made you like, what, 3? Use one.

You made me one.

I asked for help for this topic to learn about how to make a proper static engine without having to ask people on how to make one. But whup, look where one question gets me, moping around about drama around the internet again.

Like I usually do.

Ignore this, I was having a crappy day.

I've always found that the Platform Movement object provides a comfortable stepping stone for those who want to make an action platformer. Three of my completed games use the PMO for the player, actually. xD While it can be difficult to expand on, it's great if you just want to get the ball rolling and don't already have a solid static engine to work with.

• Like 1

I've always found that the Platform Movement object provides a comfortable stepping stone for those who want to make an action platformer. Three of my completed games use the PMO for the player, actually. xD While it can be difficult to expand on, it's great if you just want to get the ball rolling and don't already have a solid static engine to work with.

I think he may be on about that *shudder* built in platform movement MMF2 has and not the extension which is actually probably perfect for a Megaman engine now that I think about it...

I think he may be on about that *shudder* built in platform movement MMF2 has and not the extension which is actually probably perfect for a Megaman engine now that I think about it...

I actually know about that extension, and a tutorial comes with the extension. I might look into it. Thanks Strife.

Also, sorry for the bad mood yesterday, I had a crappy day.

Making a Mega Man engine is theoretically fairly simple... especially if it's an NES style Mega Man game. You basically just have left/right motion, jumping, and figuring out how to display your sprites appropriately while firing. Unlike Sonic, I don't think you usually even need to worry about acceleration... aside from maybe on ice stages, and there I think it's handled only when you are on the ice bricks... so still not necessarily part of the player.

Early Mega Man games didn't even have slopes. Things will probably get trickier as you attempt to implement more of the abilities that came later in the series like the slide... but yeah, Mega Man is rather simple all things considered.

Other things I didn't mention:

Ladders (Mega Man snaps to the center of the ladder when climbing and can fire while on a ladder and stationary, also going to the left or right while on the ladder does nothing other than reorient which way you'll fire. Jumping dismounts the ladder and I'm not sure if you drop down straight away or if you jump at a reduced height or what, might even depend on the specific game)

Being hit (Player gets pushed back at a slightly slower than walking speed for the duration of the hit animation and has no control)

Aaaaand... I think that's it. Early Mega Man games weren't replete with abilities.

If you need an absolute starting point, try to figure out just how to move the player left and right in a static manner. In the case of mega man, it's as simple as changing your x position by a certain value per frame.