A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Odd Anti Aliasing Bug

StealthyMC

Alrighty, I got a little side project here aside from Sonic: Edge of Darkness. Not really a game, but an engine, that I might use for a game, or release to be used as an open source.

ANYWAYS, I'm having a weird bug where the sprite for Sonic looks like it has had an anti aliasing effect added to it whenever I go on a slope or something. But when I go on a spring that shoots you straight up, Sonic's sprite will be sharp again. Example:

mlP2V.png

Haven't touched a slope or spring.

5EKcx.png

After walking on a slope.

Help please? :3

Strange I have this exact problem except it's the entire screen and in Multimedia Fusion. Are you running Windows7? If so it could be an update thing that has screwed up a lot of display modes and such.

Yes, I'm running on Windows 7. But this doesn't happen with the Dash engine or any other engine I've used.

Is Sonic usually Anti-aliased in your game? I know Advance and Battle used Anti-aliasing. What do his properties look like? ...And the code for his slope angles...

Sonic's not usually anti-aliased in-game. His sprites is supposed to look sharp, just like the level tiles and such.

Huh, that's odd.. The spinner's don't look blurred. I think they are just sprited that way. Perhaps there is something in the Draw event for the player or parent that's messing up the quality of the sprite. What's the base engine you are using?

Huh, that's odd.. The spinner's don't look blurred. I think they are just sprited that way. Perhaps there is something in the Draw event for the player or parent that's messing up the quality of the sprite. What's the base engine you are using?

Dekoldrick's aka GamerDee's full engine. It's sort of old. I could PM you the engine if you'd like.

This is driving me nuts! It looks like the player is being resized a tiny bit when he's on a slope, causing the anti-aliasing. This happens even if the sprite doesn't rotate on a slope.. I have no clue how to fix this. I'll ask Deko to see if he can do anything about it. Sorry! D:

• Like 1

This is driving me nuts! It looks like the player is being resized a tiny bit when he's on a slope, causing the anti-aliasing. This happens even if the sprite doesn't rotate on a slope.. I have no clue how to fix this. I'll ask Deko to see if he can do anything about it. Sorry! D:

It's ok, and any assistance from Deko would be great! +rep for the help.

This has happened to me in Sonic Dash it has also happened to me in other engines I have used.

My guess would be that since the rotation of sprites in game maker and mmf2 creates anti-aliased sprites for rotations that his angle is not set to exactly 0. Doing this fixed one of my old game engines but it would be more complicated in Sonic Dash.

I'm not familiar enough with this problem to offer specific advice. Nevertheless, you can spare yourself a load of visual headaches later just by rounding your angles and flooring your positions when used in the Draw Event.

True! Like... "When |rotation value|>1; set rotation value to 0."

...Sorry, that was was written in MMF2 language, but you get what I mean, right?

(btw, |...| means absolute value, just in case you didn't know... :P)

True! Like... "When |rotation value|>1; set rotation value to 0."

...Sorry, that was was written in MMF2 language, but you get what I mean, right?

(btw, |...| means absolute value, just in case you didn't know... :P)

I guess I'll give it a try. And I know what absolute value is, lol. I've taken Pre-Algebra in 7th grade last year, I'm pretty sure I know what it means, haha.