A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Advance: Worlds general help

TailsSena

Hey, havin' troubles again. I have yet to learn good level design, anyone willing to help out. (Please do NOT point to the level collab, it confuses me)

What I do have in Leafgreen is mostly flat terrain, no springs yet, going to add that.

Also, something is wrong with the spike sensors, can anyone help with that?

Details:7l4ZY.png

You will only bounce back if you hit that corner not covered by red... But it always knows you got hit, and rings will fly. Red has "Traps" qualifier, and Black is an obstacle backdrop. The actual Spike sprite has no collision, it does nothing.

Using an older build of World's Physics engine, that's it. gsoft called it SonicWorlds360Base(Sonic Build)... Yeah... I have no clue what version it's from. My guess is 1.0

So I guess beyond that it's my engine, with Homing attack ripped from BlazefileLP's '06 engine.

As for the spike code...

z7cxF.png

BLEFr.png

Yeah, I'm thinking it may just be too simple for MMF2 to handle, since it's kinda lame like that.

You know, taking a look at your code, I figure that you're comparing for collision between the mask and the spike top.

In the newest builds, the spikes are only one solid object; every sensor is configured to collide with it and stop Sonic. Except... if, for example, the Bottom Sensor is colliding with the spikes.This way, if you jump/fall over them, instead of stopping, you will get hurt.

Anyway, configuring the app to check if the Bottom Sensor collided with the Spike Top Object might solve your problem. If you leave it comparing with the mask (the Green Big Ball), yeah, it will probably enter in contact with it.

• Like 1

You know, taking a look at your code, I figure that you're comparing for collision between the mask and the spike top.

In the newest builds, the spikes are only one solid object; every sensor is configured to collide with it and stop Sonic. Except... if, for example, the Bottom Sensor is colliding with the spikes.This way, if you jump/fall over them, instead of stopping, you will get hurt.

Anyway, configuring the app to check if the Bottom Sensor collided with the Spike Top Object might solve your problem. If you leave it comparing with the mask (the Green Big Ball), yeah, it will probably enter in contact with it.

Oh my god, I never noticed that!! By the time the main sensor has collided with the bad spike mask, the bottom sensor has picked-up the backdrop mask! I think I might know a quick, easy way to fix that.

What did you exactly do, what doesn't exactly work, what are you aiming to do?

If you're programming springs, remember to make them set the value "Ground" to 0, as well as set the YSpeed to whichever value you want (Negative for up; positive for down).

This is not necessary for horizontal springs, though.

What did you exactly do, what doesn't exactly work, what are you aiming to do?

If you're programming springs, remember to make them set the value "Ground" to 0, as well as set the YSpeed to whichever value you want (Negative for up; positive for down).

This is not necessary for horizontal springs, though.

Oh my god!! Once again, you have solved my problem by guessing! ...Or, I think... Forgot about Ground, I'll see.

YAY!!! IT WORKS NOW!!! NOW I CAN MAKE A BETTER LEVEL WITH SPREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGS!!! :tgrin::aparty:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can someone help me with Audacity? I'd like to remix some music, but nothing in Audacity really makes sense/will let me click on it...

What are you trying to do? I have a little experience with Audacity, though I've never used it for remixes.

pfft...

if you wanna "HD-ify" and remix 16-bit soundtracks, you gotta use something more than Audacity. You have to change the whole song and replace the instruments with real instruments.

How does I do that? :ahuh:

I guess by "HD-ify" I mean something like this, but closer to the origional.

(Remix of the first link)

You need to get musical experience on your own, people can only teach you so much but one thing I recommend is FLStudio (FruityLoopsStudio) which is good for remastering anything really. Nobody here can or will teach you how to make music from absolute beginner. You could start by investigating whether you have natural rhythm or non.

There are tutorials for FlStudio at

or you could use Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/) which is cheap (£35). I swear by it, I record, mix and master all my music with it. It's not as "easy" to use as FL Studio but it has a lot more versatility and customization options.

But basically, in order to make those tracks sound anything near to "HD", you're going to have to recreate them by ear.

In all fairness, you're best off letting someone else take on such a big project because if you try to do this as your first experiment with making music you are going to fail hard. Whether you use Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, FL Studio, Sonar, ProTools or Logic it's going to take you at least 3-4 months just getting used to the interface never mind how to use a piano roll, using midi bends, programming synths, learning how to use samplers, how to use a groove engine, optimising your individual tracks, reverb and delay settings, sends and returns, mixing, mastering and more.

(P.S. this is just my own opinion here, but I do not recommend FL Studio. I used to use it, but thanks to it's "easy" interface I developed quite a few bad habits. The "pattern" idea is all fine for repetetive techno tunes but it really restricts you doing anything else with it without a fight. My personal recommendations are Ableton Live and Reaper as they allow more flexibility and more room for creativity. Just sayin'.)