A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[SDASH+] Shadows Fall

Dark Raven X

• 4 months later...

I'm glad I'm not dead too! <3

I say "chance" I really mean "I'm already working on it again" but don't wanna commit to it. ;P

EDIT: I think I'll be ditching quite a few components though. Namely the upgrade system. I've been thinking a lot about the overall flow of the game, and stopping and replaying a level to farm for upgrades doesn't seem fun. So I guess Shadow will be fully powered from the start, but gimmicks utilizing his powers won't all show up at once...

• 2 weeks later...

So... what makes a good level design? I realize it's hard to get specific feedback when I haven't even shown off what I'm doing yet, but I'm, I dunno... worried that I'm building these levels 'wrong' or something.

I'm trying to build on the Generations style philosophy, that you get rewarded for playing well, rather than punished for playing poorly. To that end, so far, there's no bottomless pit one hit kill stuff yet. There's a "high" path through the level that's much shorter, but harder to pull off. The low path, if you fall off the high, involves doubling back on yourself to gain height in the level.

Overall, it's a lot more vertical than what I'm seeing when comparing to maps of the classic games; and since you start off high, the first chunk of the first act is falling down. Or is that an intentional thing, given the game title snrkhahaha (it isn't)

Eh, maybe I'm worried over nothing. I'm having fun playtesting it, I guess! That's all that counts, right? :P

the thing is.

A reward isn't just a faster/easier route.

A reward is finding clever use of a gimmick that gets you there quicker, or an interesting set piece that you dash past, give the player a reason for getting to that path.

A challege isn't a pit or 1-hit.

but rather having to conserve your rings for that special stage cost. Navigating a tricky climb. etc.

Vertical is good. So is horizontal. Spice it up and be sure to use both alternatively.

I've been playing sonic cd lately, and I love the way each level focuses on two or three exclusive gimmicks, or just a unique feel. Even the bosses use the level gimmicks. I think that's a pretty easy to use formula.

So I need Alpha Testers! :o

Nothing big, just lemme know if you can run the game - I've asked a few buddies and they can't seem to run it at all.

As it is, you can also demo half the first act, but it's still using default Azure Lake tiles, so try not to rage yourself to death. ;D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23237150/Shadows%20Fall.rar

Wouldn't mind feedback on the level design so far either. :3

Wow,even my really poor netbook can run this game perfectly! It works for me :)

The level design is ok,I guess,though the game has some bugs. shadow sometimes gets stuck on a slope,or at one part he somehow fell through the ground. But actually I find the level design pretty good for now,I would just like to see some 360* degree movement when the level is done.

good job so far,I wish you luck on your project!.............oh and did I mention that I love the level music?

Cheers. The awesome music is by Ristar, the dude is crazy good.

I've noticed the sticking on slopes/falling through thing, don't worry. :P

I'm guessing it's to do with the collision tiles not fitting together clean, but I am having trouble fixing it. :/

I've updated the level a little, added actual stuff to do on the low path, and another platform right at the start. Still wanna hear how well it runs for others though, cause the 2 guys I sent it to earlier, one couldn't get it to run, the other found it so laggy it was unplayable.

The updated version is being uploaded to dropbox now, should have the same url, but upload speed is slooow. :/

EDIT: OK! It's up.

Couple other things; the first platform, you can't jump straight to it. That's intentional, but if it feels annoying I'll lower it. Same deal with the ones on the lower path. You can easily get on em. ;D

Also, just now found a horrible glitch. Whoo. Homing attacking your face directly into a Buzzbomber's bullet will cause an error box to appear, and the game to glitch out. Source of the problem is that there is no sound for that event. So I check the script for the event in question; no mention of a sound anyway. -_-