A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Planet Wisp Act 1 Remade

JetHawk95

I really like the original Planet Wisp Music from Sonic Colors/Colours so decided to sit down and remake it today (From Scratch)

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/439717

I think I got the piano sounding exactly right.

The orchestra sounds a bit off.

The drum Kick needs to be a little more realistic.

So yeah it needs work but what do you think?

(See if you can find the hidden secret melody inside aswell :ssmile: )

nice piano sound! which vst/samplebank is that?

I must say that this song would benefit from some sidechain compression on the piano and bass from the kick.

edit: listening to the original now, never heard it before (my colours fucks up after the candy stage or whatever).

your piano needs to be a lot harder at the beginning, it also needs to be EQ'd so the majority of the frequencies below about 100Hz are removed and you maybe pump up a small range of freqs arounf the 9-10kHz range.

it also needs more percussion, if you listen to the track closely there are all sorts of little percussion things dotted around.

good work though :D

@Gsuki Thanks man

@Ristar, I Used Nexus Vst and Grand Piano Preset..

I'm just starting a music course.. I tought myself how to use FLstudio so I haven't got that deep as compressing and changing frequencies just yet xD But I'm sure I'll learn that sort of stuff when I start studying my course :)

May I as what program you use? I currently use FL Studio but will be moving to Apple Logic Pro soon.

As for the percussion, Yeah there's some shakers and stuff in there too, and an alternate kick drum I think.. I'll work on it :)

a lot of it can be self taught, I never studied music, just read a lot and learned stuff off the web.

I use Ableton Live, I'd die by that program :D

as there's no real "rules" with mixing stuff, there are only pointers. But something that should always be remembered is that each instrument tends to sit in a certain frequency range.

For example, lead sounds should have a decent amount of mids and highs; piano, guitar etc. tend to sit in the mid to highs with pretty much no bass end. Bass is obviously to the low end with most of the mids removed and only a little high end in order to add presence; pads and soft piano tend to lay in the mid section, quite low, not a lot of bass and not a lot of high.

There's loads of stuff on the internet on where things should lay in a mix, but at the end of the day you can only really rely on your own ear :)