A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Nintendo 3DS price drop, Nintendo loses $300 million

MaxSonic

The only people? While I will agree that a lot of the people would fit that description, its a bit of a stretch to say that all FPS games are terrible and so are there fans.

I found Halo games enjoyable and I love Valve games, but other than that I hate FPS's (mostly).

Well, if you didn't hear, they lied about the PS3-worthy graphics. Something along the lines of "Oh, sorry, we had to cut down the quality of the graphics." I don't trust Sony, I never will. What they're promising doesn't make me wanna buy it. I've stuck around with Nintendo for all of my life, so I'm not gonna buy PSVita. It's basically a PSP with random new features.

...are you serious? They said they had to cut back on the amount of RAM the hardware is going to have, but that it shouldn't make any difference. They hardly lied about anything.

The reason for the RAM cutback was to keep the pricepoint at $250 for competition with the 3DS...which obviously is working quite well. A developer was quoted saying "the PS Vita still has 10 times the amount of ram the PSP did", even with the cut.

Yeah right, because you can totally cram up a 2006 console's technology into an oval shaped portable 5 years later. I know, miniaturization and Moore's law and all that stuff... But it doesn't work like that. If it was possible to do this, you would have a steaming hot Vita scalding your hands during a 15 minute maximum battery life.

...But yeah, it apparently does work like that. You DID watch E3, didn't you? Those didn't look like Hoaxes to me, and if they were, apparently they're the best playable hoaxes on earth. Kojima even had MGS4 RUNNING on the hardware, with it almost looking "identical" to the PS3 version. It runs at a much lower resolution, and thus can achieve the graphics much easier, i guess.

This PSVita hating is amazing, lol. I really have no remorse for Nintendo in the slightest. They threw away the hardcore gamer for the casual market. The casual market throws away Nintendo for the Ipad and smartphone products. Sounds like the game of life to me. Hope they've learned something.

They better hope the Wii-U doesn't suffer this same fate. Sure, it's going to be more powerful than the PS3, but that doesn't say shit about the new Xbox or PS4 when it inevitably releases. They'll be right back where they started.

I'm not saying FPSes are terrible. A bit overwhelming maybe, but not bad per se. Some introduce new things while keeping tight storytelling, while others play in a more arcade-ish way with varied gameplay.

They don't dominate 100% of the market, of course. Casual games, the dollar apps and other genres do have a presence. But the difference between said presence is really noticeable.

@Serephim: True, lower resolution would mean it'd be easier and faster to work with. Kojima's Transfarring means other PS3 games will have the feature too, most likely.

And when I talked about the creative east, I never meant Nintendo, nor that the "true creativity" lies there. Look at the guy behind Minecraft, he's not from Japan.

The ones I meant? Look at Suda51, Kojima (their co-op project will surely be pretty damn cool), EasyGameStation (Capitalism, ho!), Atlus (Trauma series, SMT spinoff that overtakes the main series in the west), George Kamitani from Vanillaware (gorgeous art, simple gameplay and great atmosphere).

Those are creative minds. Sadly we don't always have a chance to enjoy all of their games.

So "Creative people" is a misnomer. There's creative people everywhere. But the ones from the east are the ones who usually take bigger leaps of faith when releasing something. They're less afraid of change and new experiences.

It's hard to take risks. But we all know, the bigger the risk, the bigger the rewards if it turns out well. From a business standpoint, it makes sense that they would take easier routes... But oh well.

I'm sorry but not every game out there is an FPS, and I refuse to believe that true creativity lies in the east. Look at the Zelda series, that has barely changed since OoT. Mario 3D, not changed since Mario 64 and the platformers haven't changed since the original over 20 years ago.

People lick Nintendo's sphincter like it tastes of strawberries; but remember they've not really done much in terms of innovation in recent years (I refuse to accept the Wii as amazingly innovative, more like the biggest add-on console ever). It pisses me off when everyone says "Oh jesus, the new Call of Duty game is just like all the others just with a few different additions!" well... look at the differences between the last few zelda games... mainly graphical. There are a few additions here and there, but essentially it's "go into a dungeon, get item, use item to kill boss, use item to get to next dungeon."

Man I was just gonna post a rebuttal in here and stuff but DAMNIT RISTAR YOU BEAT ME TO THIS SHIT AGAIN. Bolded parts are the parts I agree with so hard it hurts.

I am getting really tired of people parading around claiming Nintendo is the next best thing to sliced bread with all their 'innovation'. The problem is that this is a GAMES industry and their 'innovation' IMO has been ruining it. They have been increasingly more focused on the hardware side of things rather than to create content that is actually good, and when was the last time they have created a new franchise that people in the future could consider to be classics? They've been chugging out Mario and Zelda for years guys.

I used to love Nintendo before they started on this path. In fact the only things to ever get me excited for a Nintendo console these last few years have primarily been third party titles...and by third party titles I mean one or two that look awesome. I guess you could say I've become anti-Nintendo as time goes on and roll my eyes whenever they announce anything anymore.

There are very few Nintendo related things I am looking forward to these days. Very few. I still do want to pick up a 3DS for Zelda OOT and Luigi's Mansion 2, but now that Megaman Legends 3 is canned (the game I wanted most and it isn't even a Nintendo title) there is just really no reason for me to get it any time soon. I am going to be saving up the cash for a Vita because I've already got some games on there I'd like to play.

You can't really say that about Zelda. Wind Waker and Majora's Mask were plenty different. Majora's mask adding the 3 day system and Wind Waker adding the ocean changing the graphic style and story significantly. The only reason they went back to a more OOT style game with LOZ:TP is because people were so mad about the awesome changes in WW.

As for Mario he stalled on the GCN of course. But the first SMG was extremely innovative with its gravity gimmick, space setting, not to mention the several new power ups, and more epic presentation. You couldn't have asked for a more original Mario adventure without changing Mario's gameplay beyond recognition.

I'm just gonna be the guy here that's gonna say that I absolutely hate console wars like this.

If I could buy a PS3 (I right now own a Wii and 360), I would.

If I could buy a PS Vita and a 3DS, I would.

...I'm sorry for the out of place opinion. XD

I think it broadened up when the Slim came out, and the stupid-ass spiderman logo was dropped, this was a good move that further cemented the classic PS image we all knew back at '94

I could've sworn it started right when the PS3 was $400.

I personally think Nintendo's just been trying to find funny ways to compete without taking the most expensive route. Which worked with the Wii, but now that the rest of the planet has caught on, they're starting to get slapped around by people who are one-upping them.

See, the only thing the 3DS has on ANYTHING else on the market is the 3D illusion, which honestly doesn't hold much weight to anything else. The Ipad2 is probably far stronger than the 3DS. Meanwhile, Vita is probably going to allow Sony to do EVERYTHING the 3DS can, probably MOST of the features the Wii-U can.

I dont see a future for them this next coming generation, i really dont. I dont want them to fail, but i dont see how they wont. And honestly, like i said before, I feel ZERO remorse for them because of how bad they've been basically saying "Fuck you" to the hardcore gaming scene because of how easy our sisters, girlfriends and parents have been giving them money.

Now, they're competing with full-fledged COMPUTERS that match their hardware, and then some. The "lower pricepoint" advantage will only get them so far when they're basically being usurped by a product 100x more efficient 100x more useful. Not to mention, Apple products have been the "popular choice" since i cant even remember when.

They've fucked themselves with the 3DS. Just like with the Wii, the only titles I really care for are their 1st party titles and Smash Brothers. Their refusal to adequately upgrade their hardware and get with the online scene is slowly creeping to their hearts, ready to deliver the final blow.

I guess we've gotta sit back and see what happens. I dont care about the 3DS because it's stupid to me. Honestly, if it was competing with the ORIGINAL PSP, i dont think i'd be too swayed by it either. That's how little it's brought to the table in my eyes. IMO, it's not even in the same category as the Vita anymore.

The only thing the Vita is missing to completely wipe the 3DS off the face of the planet is the ability to make phonecalls...

You can't really say that about Zelda. Wind Waker and Majora's Mask were plenty different. Majora's mask adding the 3 day system and Wind Waker adding the ocean changing the graphic style and story significantly. The only reason they went back to a more OOT style game with LOZ:TP is because people were so mad about the awesome changes in WW.

As for Mario he stalled on the GCN of course. But the first SMG was extremely innovative with its gravity gimmick, space setting, not to mention the several new power ups, and more epic presentation. You couldn't have asked for a more original Mario adventure without changing Mario's gameplay beyond recognition.

I agree with SMG being innovative, though it had the crap tacked on Wii controls. It's probably the best looking game on the system, but to be honest I didn't find it that memorable. The boss battles were horribly repetitive (reminded me a bit of those from sonic rush) and I remember spending a good amount of time watching mario fly through the air.

And look at SMG2... pretty much the same game because the first one sold so well. Honestly, they're on par with Apple's daft schemes: Change one or two elements INC NUMBER.

Majora's Mask was great, it's my favourite in the series. It had the most replay value too because that was essentially a core element of the game. But that was also a reason why a lot of people didn't like the game, so they ended up just sticking to the formula that sold the most games. I was playing TP a few weeks back and just lost interest, there wasn't enough there to keep me wanting to play the game.

@DNL: Guess that's a considerable branch point. The thing about Slim and the logo is just my personal opinion, anyway. (it's that point when I decided I wanted to get a PS3 next, not a 360, hence my standing.)

As I also said in that non-existant thread, Nintendo, I do want you to shut up and take my money. But there's nothing attractive that's worth giving said money for. <3

--------------

@Sereph:

"...trying to find funny ways to compete without taking the most expensive route."

Ditto. That worked when the Wii was 2 Gamecubes duct-taped together, and they made the smart move of putting memcard slots and controller ports in it. Thanks to that I was able to enjoy Wind Waker, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario and Eternal Darkness without having to buy a GCN.

But now that the WiiU is out, they can't just repeat history. And even though the damn thing has Wii compatibility, it dropped the GCN stuff, which is stupid as hell, since Wii = GCN. The only thing missing that nerfed compatibility would be the board with the slots and ports, but fuuuuuck no, enjoy a single tablet controller instead.

It was a really smart move back when the Wii took almost everything. But now it'll most likely be another story, unless ninty somehow wises up and actually starts caring about games, not just gimmicks.

Just try listing great wii games that aren't first party titles or enhanced ports from PS2/GCN (okami, dokapon kingdom, resident evil 4, REmake, pikmin, etc). See how many you can get. The last good game that came out and I tried was Colors... And the new Kirby looks damn neat, but it won't help much in the long run. More games, that's what they need to take care of.

For those looking for good games that aren't generic FPS games from the west, you're looking too hard. Batman Arkham Asylum was brilliant game that took what was essentially a Metroid/Zelda-ish game, blended it with some of the best stealth gameplay since Metal Gear, and finished it with a complex yet simple combat system. I can't fathom the sequel, and how much they have and can add. What about the Mass Effect series or Portal? Keep in mind that both Japan and America have the same habit, just with different things. In America, FPS and sports games sell, so they dish them out the ass. Japan does the same thing. How many Dynasty Warrior style games have come out this generation? And if you slap Gundam on anything, it's guaranteed to sell over there. The issue is that the 360 wasn't really embraced over there, and developers focused longer on the PS2 and PSP instead of HD games, simply because that's what was popular. Making games is expensive, especially for an HD console, so they cant really take many risks on a PS3 or 360 game, so they stick to simpler stuff, and get left behind. Which takes the whole thing full circle...

Nintendo came up with the best idea ever, and failed to execute it to it's full potential. Instead of trying to compete for general gamers' money against PS3 and 360 with an expensive console that would cost them money (remember, both Sony and Microsoft lost $200 per console around launch), they made a gamble an upgraded gamecube to every home, regardless of gamer status or not. With some tweaking, the company could have changed gaming forever again, by pushing traditional games later on Wii and turning every Wii owner into a true gamer. And while this was tried (see late last years return to old franchises), there should have been more effort. I doubt that Nintendo will win back the casual market with the Wii U, which is why they're claiming to market towards the hardcore. Just don't let us down Nintendo.

My big issue is that Nintendo is the one company this situation shouldn't happen to. Nintendo could tell every 3rd party developer to fuck off, and just make 1st party games on their console, and they would be fine. Nobody else can claim this. 360 would suck if you just had Halo and Viva Pinata, and while God Of War, Uncharted, and Little Big Planet are good, the system still relies on the Madden and Cod crowd to survive. Nintendo just seemed not to care, and I guess they decided they didn't need to make games for their system. Which is just a stupid business decision.

Price drop eh? Thats good, i have been wanting a 3DS but i have been waiting for the price to drop, that and i didnt get it right away because of a sucky launch line of games (in my view) I look forward to getting a 3DS and LOZ:OoT 3D sometime and i do look forward to these other games too!

I'm probably going to snag the ps vita relatively quickly after launch. My hope is that playstation launches some sort of ps2 virtual library for their system, you know how amazing it would be to carry around a ps2 library in your pocket?? Sony did a good job showing off the system at their conference, it finally does a lot of things right!

For those looking for good games that aren't generic FPS games from the west, you're looking too hard. Batman Arkham Asylum was brilliant game that took what was essentially a Metroid/Zelda-ish game, blended it with some of the best stealth gameplay since Metal Gear, and finished it with a complex yet simple combat system. I can't fathom the sequel, and how much they have and can add. What about the Mass Effect series or Portal? Keep in mind that both Japan and America have the same habit, just with different things. In America, FPS and sports games sell, so they dish them out the ass. Japan does the same thing. How many Dynasty Warrior style games have come out this generation? And if you slap Gundam on anything, it's guaranteed to sell over there. The issue is that the 360 wasn't really embraced over there, and developers focused longer on the PS2 and PSP instead of HD games, simply because that's what was popular. Making games is expensive, especially for an HD console, so they cant really take many risks on a PS3 or 360 game, so they stick to simpler stuff, and get left behind. Which takes the whole thing full circle...

Nintendo came up with the best idea ever, and failed to execute it to it's full potential. Instead of trying to compete for general gamers' money against PS3 and 360 with an expensive console that would cost them money (remember, both Sony and Microsoft lost $200 per console around launch), they made a gamble an upgraded gamecube to every home, regardless of gamer status or not. With some tweaking, the company could have changed gaming forever again, by pushing traditional games later on Wii and turning every Wii owner into a true gamer. And while this was tried (see late last years return to old franchises), there should have been more effort. I doubt that Nintendo will win back the casual market with the Wii U, which is why they're claiming to market towards the hardcore. Just don't let us down Nintendo.

My big issue is that Nintendo is the one company this situation shouldn't happen to. Nintendo could tell every 3rd party developer to fuck off, and just make 1st party games on their console, and they would be fine. Nobody else can claim this. 360 would suck if you just had Halo and Viva Pinata, and while God Of War, Uncharted, and Little Big Planet are good, the system still relies on the Madden and Cod crowd to survive. Nintendo just seemed not to care, and I guess they decided they didn't need to make games for their system. Which is just a stupid business decision.

I think they deserve it. Mainly because they've had a very successful amount of time fucking over their previous userbase. Now that they've enjoyed free reign over the casual market for one generation, they're going to be up to their heels in competition from not only Sony and Microsoft, but everybody else (including Apple, trololol) for that pool of money they've been swimming in.

Wii-U looks like its going to be promising, but honestly, i believe that with all its potential, the moment the new playstation or Xbox comes along, all that shit is just going to look stupid, just like the Wii did in light of the 360 and PS3.

And the 3DS....still see no future for it. 1st party titles are the ONLY thing i see good going for the system...but thats how its always been with Nintendo.

BTW Maxsonic...your walls of text would be easier to manage if you'd add some spacing every now and then.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Nintendo held back their first-party titles at the 3DS' launch to actually give third parties a chance. Turns out it wasn't the smartest idea. Blame the third parties for the 3DS' less-than-stellar launch.

The 3DS' library WILL get better. The DS was no better at this stage in its lifespan.

I think they deserve it. Mainly because they've had a very successful amount of time fucking over their previous userbase.

Serephim, don't go knocking Nintendo's attitude towards hardcore gamers when they made more first-party hardcore titles for the Wii than in the Gamecube's entire lifespan. How many 'casual' games has Nintendo made, again? Four?

Wii-U looks like its going to be promising, but honestly, i believe that with all its potential, the moment the new playstation or Xbox comes along, all that shit is just going to look stupid, just like the Wii did in light of the 360 and PS3.

The gap between the next Playstation and 360 and the WiiU is not gonna be nearly as large as the gap between the Wii and the PS3/360. Not with the next Playstation, at the very least, I've heard they're scaling down advancements severely next gen because the PS3 was so damn costly for them.