A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Stency Released

Flash? Meh. Construct 2 is already using HTML5, which isn't proprietary, and getting increasingly faster with browser optimizations. Java should have filled the niche of web-based games that Flash mostly owns... Except that early versions of Java were so slow and so unnatural looking that Flash actually looked good in comparison. By the time they fixed it, Flash had become the de-facto standard for this kind of thing, much to the chagrin of just about everyone except Adobe.

From what I hear, Stencyl right now is extremely buggy, and it's using the Scratch style of events, alongside a scripting system. Ashley on the Construct forums brings up a point about this:

My main criticism, from my incredibly biased position of writing a competing dev tool icon_razz.gif, is that it's mixing the Scratch event block system, which was originally designed for children, with a full blown code editor to program your game. Who are they targeting exactly - kids or programmers? I'm not sure if this is a strength or a weakness, but Game Maker is technically an event/coding hybrid, and in the end one of them "won" (most people consider it a scripting tool). I wonder what Stencyl's thoughts are on how the hybrid thing will work out.

From what I've been hearing, I also hear that it's rather counterintuitive and convoluted to the way Construct works, so I think I'll stick with Construct.

I once tried to download Construct, but I couldn't for some reason. Broken link I guess.

It IS interesting, mostly because making a game maker IS a challenge. But idk, I still use MMF2 only because I'm not so good with C#. Otherwise I'd be using XNA Game Studio.