A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and view-only. Account registration has been disabled. Existing members cannot log in and post. Click here to join our Discord server, which is the primary point of our community. ×
SoaH City Message Board

Tekken anyone?

Serephim

I'll admit it. I used to hate the Tekken series. Last one i played was Tekken Tekken Tag on PS2, but i really didn't like it much. Tekken 3 was my favorite one, and even then i only played with my sisters, and thus never got into it fully.

Got into Blazblue back when it came out, and have been into fighting games ever since. 2D fighters have been appealing to me more because, unlike Tekken, you had a small amount of special moves and "normals" used to chain your combos together with. Between Blazblue which is more combo based, and SSF4 which is more spacing and prediction, i've kind of been trying to get good at them both. And then, a new guy we meet (who's pretty damn good at SSF4, got me into it) pulls out Tekken 6. Now, i havent touched or even glanced at Tekken since Tekken Tag, so im 3 entries behind. I used to hate Tekken because it was "spammy" and had way more moves than it needed to have for each character. Not to mention the animations were stiff and retarded, and alot of characters were moveset swaps.

Gotta say, i love it when a game proves me wrong though. Tekken 6 is pretty fucking amazing. Ive been playing for a week now, and it's close to the addiction i got when first got into playing Blazblue competitively. The character models are sexy as shit and are animated pretty damn well, and i especially enjoy how they react to being hit on this game. The only real "copy" character in the game I see would be Eddy/Christie so far. 40+ character roster, and WWAAYY more balanced than SSF4 is, which is a HUGE plus for me since im a whore for game balance.

Anyone here play at all? I picked up Lili, because she has the most visually pleasing moveset ive ever seen in a fighting game before. Luckly i have some people who play online here to get better with. (Lili's moves are pretty, but can be extremely difficult to apply in most situations, since i have to scare people into being hit by them.)

And since im specifically talking about Tekken 6, they introduced a new system which seriously extends the combo focus of the game, which is great for me because i love me some combos and my character choice is especially dangerous with the juggles.

Not to mention, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was just announced, and it looks like it's going to be an instant pre-order from me. And this game is so impressive, im currently more hyped for Namco's Tekken X Street Fighter than Capcom's version. (MvC3 is unbalanced as shit. Hopefully Tekken 6 BR's balance will carry over into TxSF.) It's just an new breath of fresh air. Im really sick and tired of DPs and 1-frame activation fullscreen specials.

My girlfriend always uses Asuka and I must admit, Asuka is a pretty good fighter.

I've been playing Tekken since the first one came out on PS1. I'm still terrible at it, but I enjoy a good game with my mates.

I used to be alright with Hwoarang, though!