A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SoR Remake - it's done!

GSF

It's finished.

I'm gonna play the shit out of it. The ports for Wiz, Wii and Linux will be out soon.

Last week I reconnected the Genesis to play some SoR2 in co-op... and today, the remake is finally finished? Fuck yes.

The way it allows you to customize the engine methods is pretty awesome. You can alter between jump, weapon, combo systems from SoR2 or 3, enable new visual effects or keep the classic ones, use "real" or old style oval shadows... Also default custom remixed OST or retro style (after you download it). Excellent.

Also general SoR nostalgian go.

I hate those goddamn fire-spewing fat fucks. And fear the Grand Upper.

EDIT: Apparently Sega made them take it down. Even after they were supposedly notified and were okay with it. Oh well, it's all over the internets now, so just search for it if you wish.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of the C&D and what it's impact might be for sites like this one, actually. It sounds like it may place this website (and others like it) at (more) risk, certainly.

The more popular it gets, the more angry they get.

Im usually not too heated when companies do stuff like that, but it peeves me when they wait until it's finished to start bitching. If they disliked it, they should have told them to stop a long time ago.

not really, sega has known about this spot for years, they really don't give much of a shit, we don't get much hype compared to a project of that magnitude.

I'm not so sure. One Sonic project that I can think of that'd be affected by a more aggressive stance would be Sonic Fan Remix, although I know it isn't hosted here. And if SEGA really are becoming that much more hostile towards fangames, turning its lawyer's attention to sites such as this one would be a logical move.

Im usually not too heated when companies do stuff like that, but it peeves me when they wait until it's finished to start bitching. If they disliked it, they should have told them to stop a long time ago.

Is it Square-Enix or Nintendo that've pulled that kind of dick move often before now, Serephim? I know S-E is known to be openly hostile towards fangames.

yeah didn't squenix C&D that Chrono Trigger fan patch?

it's weird... I just don't understand how it's a threat to these companies. In my eyes it's no different to people drawing pictures of videogame characters and submitting them to an online gallery or something.

where is the line?

Even though SoRR is custom-made from scratch, after playing it (with retro-style gameplay settings) you may think it's a romhack.

Sega might see it like that, and the fact that it includes levels from the original games (which can be bought from the current consoles' online classic game selection) also make things more complicated. Supposedly, they (SoA) were informed of the project, so it's really strange how it came out. I think the takedown requests were from SoE, not SoA though. Makes me wonder why not notify SoE as well, since afaik they do have offices in Spain (where the creator lives).

And yes, Square Enix C&D'd Crimson Echoes and Chrono Resurrection, but during development.

EDIT: And daaaaamn, I enjoyed it. Too bad the extra ports didn't came out... but Wine takes care of that.