A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Unreal Development Kit Help

Rawr

Hey, I figure not too many people around here might be able to help much with this, but here goes anyway. So I've been mucking about with the Unreal Engine a little bit, I have only ever built a tiny little play area in it before, and I was maybe thinking of trying to learn it more seriously. I'd really like to turn one of my ideas into an original full game sometime (still torn whether or not it would work better as a 2.5d game, a 2.5d game with some 3D bits, or full on 3D akin to Zelda) but I'd like to start learning how to work with the Unreal Scripts to start adjusting the engine how I see fit to start prototyping some things. The thing is all I have is a very very very basic knowledge of the UDK thus far.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any prior experience with the UDK and if they can point me in a great direction to learn. I've tried searching on the official UDK forums but finding information on there seems to be harder than actually using the engine itself haha. Now that I'm getting more comfortable with working in 3D I'd really like to prototype some stuff out and maybe have something to pitch, or eventually get people to take on as a team to work with me on this when funds are ever available (see: far far off from now). At least if I get the knowledge to figure out the concept on my own I can make some progress at the very least.

I don't intend to learn it over night either, I'm really busy with school right now and I realize this stuff takes time. The other thing is that I am also not very good with advanced math etc etc, so would that start to cause me difficulties when using the unreal script?

Thanks for any info that anyone can give me. Also sorry if this post seems like I've rambled a lot more than I needed to, I've had a long day and I'm pretty tired right now heh.

Edit: Just to add, I am more of a graphics guy. So modelling etc, and I have not had any experience so far in terms of importing characters and animating them in UDK either. So if there is a place that covers UDK from startup, to importing characters/animations to building something playable etc, I'd really appreciate it.

When I was first messing with UDK, I referred to these two tutorials a lot:

http://www.hourences.com/an-entire-simple-udk-game/

http://x9productions.com/blog/?page_id=357

Pretty good at helping you experience it for the first time, though honestly I had to get the book covering the engine too which went over the extreme basics (sadly for UT3, so eventually it doesn't sync with UDK). Even then however, I realized that I was so amateurish with scripts that I just couldn't pick up on Unreal Script. Thanks to college's teachings I may have more luck now, though I haven't found the time to give it another go.

But I digress. :> If you can find Xaklse, he seems to be pretty experienced with UDK and would probably be ok with giving you a helping hand.

I think in general though the best way to learn UDK after figuring out how to build scripts and maps, is to just keep playing with the different features and trying to make a goal to learn something new about it each day. Good luck!

When I was first messing with UDK, I referred to these two tutorials a lot:

http://www.hourences.com/an-entire-simple-udk-game/

http://x9productions.com/blog/?page_id=357

Pretty good at helping you experience it for the first time, though honestly I had to get the book covering the engine too which went over the extreme basics (sadly for UT3, so eventually it doesn't sync with UDK). Even then however, I realized that I was so amateurish with scripts that I just couldn't pick up on Unreal Script. Thanks to college's teachings I may have more luck now, though I haven't found the time to give it another go.

Awesome I'll have to take a read through those some this weekend! At least it gives me a starting point in terms of managing the scripts and everything. The most I have done script wise was following a third person camera tutorial, but that was pretty much a copy/paste type ordeal and I didn't understand why anything was being changed etc.

But I digress. :> If you can find Xaklse, he seems to be pretty experienced with UDK and would probably be ok with giving you a helping hand.

I guess if I run into any problems I can ask him :). I just don't want to pester anybody too much and make it feel like they are doing everything for me. I'd really like to learn it so I have stuff to show before I ever start looking for team members since right now its all just a bunch of concepts, and nothing more.

I think in general though the best way to learn UDK after figuring out how to build scripts and maps, is to just keep playing with the different features and trying to make a goal to learn something new about it each day. Good luck!

Thanks man for all the advice! At least it gives me a starting point now to go and look in.

They're coming out with a book this month I think.

If they do I should grab myself a copy of it!