A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

It's a 3D model of Sonic

Aerosol

aero.png

sonicgotback.png

I'm agonizingly close to finishing this. Everything in this model is mine, except the hands which are Damizean's (he ok'd it) and the shoes which were made by a very hard worker at Dimps/Sega for Unleashed's PS2 version (placeholders, of course).

It's supposed to be a classic Sonic model, based on the Sonic Championship model. Criticism is greatly appreciated.

And go!

This looks nice! If I could spot out a problem, I guess I would say...

Maybe his torso is TOO sphere-like maybe? And maybe the quills on his back could be a bit more smooth and curved down a bit

But thats really nothing, its looks great! And I dont even like classic sonic style, so that's saying somethin

I thought about both of those changes, AMT, and I decided that they would take the model in a more Adventure-era direction. I'm glad you like it though, despite you not liking classic Sonic style.

Thats true if your trying to stay away from the adventure era, I guess the rounder the better! It's really a nice model, can wait to see it in color!

*snort*

Look everyone DW is getting high! Anyway, nice model so far dude! The geometry seems to be clean, at least from what I can see since there is no wireframe but no weird crap seems to be happening as far as I can tell from the images.

Nice work!

Edit: Although do you have triangles in the stomach area? As well as the tips of the spikes seem a bit off. I don't know exactly how you would get around the spikes, but I think if there are indeed triangles around the stomach area if there was a way you could split that nicely into quads I'd do it. But that's about my only suggestion and its nothing major.

I've actually been thinking about that. His body is a sphere, and by design sphere's end in a point. I did rotate the sphere into that position though, to approximate his actual stomach. Since everyone is telling me this is a bad idea though, I might as well just start the body over at some point. No biggy, not with the new tools I found in blender that should make it a snap.

I'm more worried about texturing the damn thing now. Blender is so freaking weird....

Look everyone DW is getting high! Anyway, nice model so far dude!

Well, rotating rendered model gifs just happen to remind me of my own adventures in 3D modeling. That's all.

I've actually been thinking about that. His body is a sphere, and by design sphere's end in a point. I did rotate the sphere into that position though, to approximate his actual stomach. Since everyone is telling me this is a bad idea though, I might as well just start the body over at some point. No biggy, not with the new tools I found in blender that should make it a snap.

You could always just bevel at the point so that the bottom of the sphere is flat.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean, and I think an explanation would require you to bust open a modeling app and take screenshots of what you mean.

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure what I mean either. Basically what I was thinking was that you were trying to work with a sphere and that the default way that spheres are converted into polygons results in them being in a shape that has points on the top and bottom. Basically where there are just as many segments in a circular cross section, but a lot less vertical distance to cover. Or something.

Anyway, I'm not sure what modelor you are using, but there are some nifty polygon cutting tools in some of them that can help you get a good base surface to work with before going after things like the tail, the rear spikes, and for blocking out the stomach.