A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Slope Steepness?

So I've been hung up on this all day today and I can't seem to solve it and I don't even know if it's worth solving.

erwyg8.jpg

308gtbn.jpg

This slope should be steep enough to effect Sonic's running momentum, but it doesn't. Sonic runs down it without gaining momentum and runs up it without losing momentum.

If I roll through this section, Sonic's momentum works just fine. I gain tons of speed spinning down the hill. But it seems steep enough that I should get a little just running down it. Of course, it's not as thought Sonic's momentum is busted. Half-pipes and loops still work as they are meant to.

In the old old alpha of Sonic Worlds (or whatever it was called then) TFH was using, there was a single value that controlled Sonic's sensitivity to slopes. Since that alpha, Sonic's physics simulation got a lot more detailed and there is now over 5x as many variables. I've tried increasing "SlopeDecelerationFactor", and while that does increase Sonic's "weight" on certain steep slopes, it still does not effect the slopes I have pictured. There are plenty of variables for "RollingSlopeConversionFactor" but none of that seems to effect Sonic when he is simply running.

Of course, I also have to wonder if maybe this is just my imagination and it's actually functioning properly to how Sega Genesis Sonic physics should be. But it certainly doesn't feel right to me.

I couldn't find anything to tweak what angles effect Sonic's momentum while running so I ended up just porting out the code for rolling up/down hills to work while he's running, but at a third of the strength of rolling.

It seems kind of lazy and sloppy, but it works.

Edit: And of course, right after that, I find the variable to tweak. :P

I couldn't find anything to tweak what angles effect Sonic's momentum while running so I ended up just porting out the code for rolling up/down hills to work while he's running, but at a third of the strength of rolling.

It seems kind of lazy and sloppy, but it works.

Edit: And of course, right after that, I find the variable to tweak. :P

lool Well, I was about to say where it is too.

EDIT: i just remembered something else... I just asked that not long ago. What's my brain age, again?