A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

So I've been marathoning this game, it should be out in 2 days, and if you're a metal gear solid fan with a psp, this is a no brainer, go buy this god damn game!

MGS:PW is a true sequel to the MGS series in my eyes. It's got a full story, excellent comic+quicktime cutscenes, tons of extra/side missions, base building, and last but not least 4 player snake action! OH it also has monster hunter stuff in it :o (you get to fight some of the monster :D).

Peace Walker stars Naked snake (the original snake before all the others, also the star of MGS 3), and takes place after metal gear solid 3 in the timeline. Basically the story revolves around snake after he's defected from the US during the cold war. Snake starts his own private military force in Central America.

The story eventually will lead into the original Metal Gear for the MSX where Solid Snake has his first mission to Outer Haven (the eventual name of your sweet effin base). Cutscenes are done through very gritty sketchy looking motion comic, with very few quicktime events sprinkled through. These cutscenes look awesome, and do a good job at grabbing your attention.

Gameplay wise, it's a barrel of awesome. If you can get over the fact that yes, the psp does NOT have 2 sticks, and get used to one of the 3 control types you're not going to have much problems. Before each mission you outfit snake with 2 weapons, and a bunch of goodies. Only thing that is really missing from the classic MGS playbook is crawling around, but you can still move around while crouching, and you can also go prone.

Base management is absolutely ridiculous. You start recruiting people in game by knocking them out and attaching them to these helium balloons. These people can then be used for your forces, you have several divisions, combat R&D medic, etc. From there as your base gets bigger you'll have more things to do, send your combat units and captured vehicles out for their own missions, acquire more soldiers from random wireless hotspots, and research new weapons and toys. And there's even more to do.

The multiplayer is where the game shines, you can play through the campaign with 2 people (4 on the boss stages) and there's a ton of 4 player extra missions as well. There's quite a few items made SPECIFICALLY for co-op. I used a cardboard box shaped like a tank, one person drives, while the other actually shoots real cannon shells, it's amazing. I've also seen a 3 player weapon where 2 people use a hand crank while the 3rd person aims a rail gun.

I can keep rambling about this game for hours, anyone else been following the news about this game or acquired it?

I do, but doesn't that require new PSP firmware?

Cause...I'm not getting rid of all of my emulators.

Negative ;D. It DOES require the ps3 to be connected to the internet by a wired connection (the wireless is used for the psp's, makes sense)

As for infrastructure, no it does not have any. It's strictly adhoc. That's why having a ps3 takes that limitation out.

ouch : \. Have someone make you a god damn long cable :D.

Anyways, this has been about the only game I've played over the past 4 days. I'm ADDICTED to basebuilding, getting more staff, firing crappy soldiers, R&D making me sweet new upgrades to everything.

I'm at chapter 3 now, storyline is definitely very straight forward and way less convoluted than your standard MGS fare, which is very nice for people that haven't been following the series like a maniac.

Some things I noticed:

-Fuck the bosses. There's too many, and they're all boring and tedious. Fuck them so hard.

-Goddammit Amanda won't heal past 20. Stupid bitch.

-Oh hey Vocaloid. You make those lame boss fights way more adorable. Oh wait where did it go? I can still hear OH JESUS FUCK LOOK OU-

-Oh great. Cardboard tanks for multiple people. I can never use these. Sure, I'll take six :<

-Seriously why are there bosses after every two missions goddammit

-Snake's pistol stance is goofy now that he doesn't hold a knife in the other hand.

-OKAY THIS MIKU TANK JUST PUNCHED ME WITH IT'S TREADS HOW DOES IT EVEN DO THAT WHAT AM I LOOKING AT THIS DOESN'T-

Just beat the story mode. While being standalone this game definitely wraps up just about everything for naked snake that was left to question (especially when it came to boss). Epic ending segments, I was fist pumping a lot in cheer.

This has definitely been one of my favorite games of this year so far. Just the quality of the product presented to me, it's at the peak of what they could've done with the systems limitations. And it's jam packed with awesome extras as well. Definitely a must have for any MGS fan.

Which ending? The final one after the Chapter 5 Zadornov missions? Annoying as hell, those were. Especially since the last one wouldn't unlock after I beat all of the available non-boss missions. Did a few of the boring bosses, replayed the Paz mission to get an A, then it finally triggered.

Liked the second ending, though it's depressing to see Big Boss slowly become the guy from Metal Gear. First ending felt kinda bland, mostly because it kept going and going, from Peace Walker's reveal to the chase sequence to the second and third PW fights, and everything in between, it was pretty drawn out.

Solid game, though. Only a few side missions left for me. Definitely skipping the bosses, though. Especially that brutal Monster Hunter one. Oi vey.