A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Monster Hunter 3

shadowgoten

So I've had a copy of monster hunter 3 for a few days. This game is a fucking blast. If anyone has played the other monster hunters, you know what you're in for. This game has free online play, servers open up tomorrow at midnight and the online mode I hear is leaps and bounds better than some friend code bullshit party, it also supports wii speak.

So who will be online slaying gigantic beasts with me come tuesday?

the commercial reminded me of one of those corny credit card commercials with the vikings. I wonder how the currency system works? :P

It looked like a decent game for the wii, the only modern console I own, so I might pick it up, just I don't have any idea how the game plays, except the fact that "YOU FIGHT BIGGER MONSTERS! >:DDDDD" as the commercial stated.

The ps2 and psp versions did have clunky controls, the classic controller alleviates this on the wii. As for animations, I have no clue what he's talking about.

Aaaand yes, you create all of your weapons and armor from the things you carve off of the monsters you kill.

Monster hunter is NOT everyone's cup of tea, some people LOVE this formula, others just can't get into it.

I think one of the biggest problems is the games tend to get you into the swing of things at an extremely slow pace. You won't be fighting giant monsters for the first 4~5 hours. And even then you still need to build up a decent armor set and get a decent weapon to stand toe to toe with a big one. There's something about these games that have a very addictive quality to them though.

It's an action RPG with clunky animations, clunky controls, and entirely gear based.

Agree and disagree. I have the newest Monster Hunter for PSP, and i have to say, it does get old pretty damn quickly.

The battles with the creatures are a blast, but thats about all the game is good for. Gathering materials is boring as shit and time consuming when all you want to do is kill the big guy. I also find it retarded you actually get to carve the enemy yourself, but still fall victim to chance when it comes to getting what you want off it, ESPECIALLY when you can capture the bitch alive and still not choose what you want from him. Phantasy Star Portable 2 is still a far superior experience to me, but it isnt out in USA yet so meh.

Clunky controls? Well, they dont give you as much control as i'd like, but it keeps a certain balance to it so whatever. Clunky animations? I highly disagree, this game is animated very very very well. Lack of gender-based animations is disappointing, but i can see why they didn't do it. It gets old once you realize getting weapons is far more trouble than it should be, and once you face a boss creature, normal slaying missions are boring as shit and it'll just feel like filler.

Anyway, if they made the game for PS3 like they originally planned i'd pick it up in a heartbeat, but since its updated PSP Monster Hunter on Wii, ill likely pass. I have no intention of buying a wii anytime soon. Pity too, the game would look absolutely amazing on next-gen hardware. (Looks great on Wii too, dont get me wrong.)