A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A place to discuss absolutely everything about classic Sonic level design

I hope to generate an endless discussion about level design. The focus is on the play of controlling the character through a zone.

As I work on my project I thought it would be good if a repository of level design knowledge could be building up at the same time. Then, when I do reach that stage I will have a much better idea of what and what not to consider. Other readers will have a place to look for better insight and ideas they can use as well. People here sometimes say things that demonstrate a deeper knowledge than mine, which isn't much.

I want it to go as broad and deep as possible and so, because I want this discussion to be clear source to learn from, I imagine distinct sub-topics that pop up might get pushed into new threads. Even if I was just posting for fun, there is a monster amount to discuss. Especially when analysing particular zones or comparing similar ones. When we are done discussing secrets it can move on to branches and junctions. Then on to speed, then space (Sonic CD vs Sonic & Knuckles perhaps), then on to right-angle-heavy zones, then how to pace a level well with challenges, how to move well between those challenges, badnik-related design considerations. Etc etc etc.

I encourage people to say absolutely anything that will inspire further segmentation, clarification or discussion. Aesthetics are not a major topic for me, but if you can discuss a situation where changing the visuals would change the way you control the character, go for it.

To get the ball rolling I introduce these 3 topics. Feel free to let your responses wander to inspire more areas to consider.

- Topic 1 -

My statement:

"The branching paths in Sonic are a huge part of the game and not just in terms of geometry. In fact they would have to be the largest contributor to how free and do-what-you-want the classics feel."

Critic response:

"Pac-man has branching paths. They may all be visible on a single screen, but they're a crucial part of the gameplay. Ghosts weave in and out to try and trap you as you move across the whole map to collect all the pellets. Paths section off and reconnect, which is necessary to make the game interesting.

Sonic's branch design differs from game to game. For the classic Sonics there's not much to say. Branches are essentially different level sections or paths connected together. If any give Sonic path has a lack of counterpoint or layered design, then it doesn't really matter how much it branches into mediocrity. Sonic's branches aren't that bad. To be clear, it's not about the number of branches. It's how the branches are worked into the levels overall challenge."

- Topic 2 -

Water zones. Hydrocity is too fast, Labyrinth and Tidal Tempest are too slow. Aquatic Ruin is good but too short. These are my opinions. Agree or disagree? What makes a good water level? Or a good set of water levels? What would be necessary for one game to contain more than 1 water-oriented level? Where does Hydrocity shine and where does it fall over?

- Topic 3 -

A good level is really a series of encapsulated challenges separated by speedy not-quite challenges. This is just an idea. Am I completely wrong?

I'm sorry, but we just started something that is going to be used to brainstorm ideas. As much as I'm open to discussion, a broad overarching topic like this might cut into that... so I'm going to have to break this one.

I'd appreciate it if you participated in the concept storm though.

Since I'd hate to let this die without at least talking about it a little, I'll go ahead and provide my insight on these.

1: Branching Paths

In Sonic games, branching paths aren't really as critical a point as you'd think. They are certainly there in almost all of the levels, but their main purpose isn't to provide a challenge anywhere near as much as it is to provide some kind of replay-value (like for people who want to do speed runs). That being the case, you are right, the number of branching paths isn't really that important. What is important is having something that sets one path apart from another, whether it's a unique series of obstacles or one defining event.

2: Water Zones? They usually earn a lot of scorn. Sometimes I wonder whether it's even a good idea to do a full-out water zone. They are a lot more fun to make than they are to play.

As for the speed of a water zone, I think it isn't really right to say Hydrocity is too fast... as it's probably the fan-preferred water stage as a result of that pacing. It is however a pretty boring stage when you aren't on the fast stretches.

3: Generally speaking, yes, but that's true of any game.