A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[SOLVED!(?)] 360 engine without Advanced Math object

Steven M

1) I'm trying to remake Sonic Puzzle Attack (lost my .mfa file, doubt anyone else still has a copy). I'm also remaking Sonic Spring and working on a SHMUP, but that's other news.

2) To that end, I'm using this engine and this engine only - it was practically tailor-made for the game.

3) This engine was made for MMF 1.5, and uses the Advanced Math object. Specifically:

START OF FRAME
"Advanced Math Object"
Set fixed object to "Sensor - Angle - Left"

ALWAYS
"Counter - Angle"
Set Counter to FixedAngle( "Advanced Math object", X( "Sensor - Angle - Right" ), Y( "Sensor - Angle - Right" ))[/CODE]

4) Since we have a working beta of Sonic Worlds in MMF2, I'd like to ask - how would you be able to remove the Advanced Math object from this engine and still make sure it works properly (angle detection and all)? Fast Loops won't be a problem, just the Advanced Math object.

And before you ask, yes I am. Why? Because the first time I did this project it FUBAR'd my demo copy of MMF 1.5, and a yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee MMF2 was my only chance to recover, reconstruct and build a working demo of SPA. But that's all in the past, evidenced by the thread mentioned earlier.

Open up any copy of Sonic Worlds (well, dunno about the stripped version; should be the same) and check out the events in this group:

General methods > Step Events > Tools > Angle Calculator

Or, you can use this that I made ages ago:

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=4&id=170

I think all it needs are two extra checks for if the angle is exactly 90 or exactly 270 degrees.

LarkSS: I'll browse through those now.

Rael: I doubt it, but I can't say for certain.

EDIT: Got it working, somewhat.

I think all it needs are two extra checks for if the angle is exactly 90 or exactly 270 degrees.

This seems to be the key - the sensors work fine up on the slopes until they hit 90/270, then they spazz out across the level. If I can fix that, I'll be one step closer to sorting out the rest of the game.

DOUBLE EDIT: Through sheer dumb luck I've managed to get the engine working proper, 0/90/180/270 degrees and all!