A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

sonicyoda

Anybody out there playing the new Silent Hill? Haven't completed it yet but I'm about 2 thirds of the way in and I must say, this is one of the greatest and most memorable gaming experiences I've had in ages. Even now I'm thinking what I could have done differently to change a character's attitude or influence aesthetic changes. This game will certainly be getting multiple playthroughs.

What's more, for a Wii game I'd say it was the prettiest thing on the console. The game does a bloody good job of keeping the framerate relatively high as well. I'd say it stays at the 50-60 fps mark for most of the game with the main stutters being caused by rushing through doors and being chased by multiple enemies. Certainly impressive for a game as 'graphics heavy' as this.

So yeah, anyone else playing it? No spoilers in your replies please.

I beat it already. And loved it.

The intro screen that says something like "This game plays with you as much as you play it" (or something) is quite accurate. In my second playthrough, I noticed how the game changes itself according to your actions and decisions.

As for the game's features, the phone is quite useful, and using the wiimote to point the flashlight and listen to calls is pretty nice. I also played the PS2 version, and the controls are definitely less intuitive there. Aside from that, the game is pretty much the same.

The whole "no combat" approach seems pretty awkward at first, but SH never excelled at combat anyway. The other SH games work well with it, but the main attraction of the series came from all the moments that made you think about what the hell just happened. So in the end, SH:SM focuses in this big attraction point, and does a pretty good job at it.

The only thing I kinda missed from the other games... is the puzzle solving nightmares. (Shakespeare and hospital door puzzles in SH3 on hard, daaaaaamn). This game was quite easy when it came to puzzles, some solutions are at inches of distance from the puzzle itself, when a few others are a bit more cryptic or annoying (mall, the gumball color puzzle).

Overall, it's a pretty good experience, and as a "reimagination" (not remake) of SH1, it satisfies.

I still didn't get all the endings, currently I'm going for the UFO one, heh.

Glad someone else is playing this instead of buying another sequel in a series of games that became stale, repetitive and predictable (couldn't help myself, sorry).

Yes, the puzzle solving has become a little bland in comparison with previous titles but this game comes across as more of a refinement of all the things that grabbed you over the stuff that was generally a bit tedious. The puzzles themselves have never been particularly boring, but the blind search for the answer has been a bit of an issue in past games so I was glad to see the answers were a little more obvious in this title. Not for everyone but it's helped me.

Getting very close to the end of my first playthrough, can't wait! This game is always on my mind at the moment and I personally feel that's the sign of a good game. I'm always thinking "what if I'd done this?", "what would have happened if I'd chosen that?" etc. This game is certainly keeping me on my toes.

Glad someone else is playing this instead of buying another sequel in a series of games that became stale, repetitive and predictable (couldn't help myself, sorry)

well you can say that for just about ANY series out nowadays, even sonic.

Anyways, this game I definitely want to play, it's on a rediculously long backlog of mine.

well you can say that for just about ANY series out nowadays, even sonic.

The difference is, Sonic got bad, unimaginative and gimmicky. Still, I've got high hopes for Sonic 4. Dimps have continuously entertained me more than any other Sonic developer this past decade.

Anyways, this game I definitely want to play, it's on a rediculously long backlog of mine.

I know what you mean. It's a bit mad for good games at the moment. I was initially going to put off buying Silent Hill until I'd given Heavy Rain ago. I decided against it because Heavy Rain is selling loads where as Silent Hill isn't.

Speaking of good games coming out, today hasn't helped because Yakuza 3 is out as well! Pay day couldn't come any sooner.

this is probably the third best Silent Hill game after 2 and 1.

I seriously loved it, I just wish it was longer.

The whole echo and shadow figure thing was really brilliant, I still keep finding new shit on my 4th playthrough.