A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[GM7] Loops

BOB_ROX

Now I got loops and everything in my game, Just, I wanna add the original green hill zone sprite that is from sonic 1, Now its a full loop sprite. I was wondering, How do I get it as a solid but make sonic go around it,

Heres the loop that I mean: http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprites/Sonic/backgorund_idems/greenhillzone5kh.png

Can anyone help me out?

Either use invisible collision layers having the loop as an untouchable graphic, recreate the loop movement through a process separate from the main movement routine using trig functions to follow the curves of the loop, or the simplist way, manually cut that loop into two halves, which I know isn't the solution you're asking for but it's really the least tedious way of getting things done.

Cutting it into 2 halves hey?....Hmm...Would the would it be it still work the same as having the four peices of ramps to make one?.

EDIT:

Yeah, Cutting 2 halves isnt my cup of tea. I tried to do it and now Its a pain trying to get them close to each other while each half keeps over righting the other.

The lower loop in that image is easy to cut, but for the top loop you'll either have to improvise your own tiles for the section that's covered, or just...leave it out, hahah. For example:

GreenhillLoop.png

Not the greatest cut, but an example of how it can be done. Note how in the section that's hidden for the left half of the loop, I added a black block to connect the descending curve to the grass on the other side. ( I didn't connect this purposely so it can be easily removed and modified if you decide to toy around with this image. ) The black block should be hidden from view, yet act as a collision layer for Sonic as he's running down the left side of the loop.

Just remember that when Sonic gets to the midpoint at the top of the loop, turn off collisions for the right side and turn on collisions for the left side, and visa versa. Feel free to bring the right side of the loop in front of Sonic for visual purposes at this point too. ;>

Edit: Kept the top section fully intact for both pieces as it'll help collisions from glitching during the transition from one side to the other ( since collisions for each side toggles when passing over ). Each top section should overlap perfectly so there's no visual issues, and it should even make piecing the two halves together a bit easier.

Allow me to assist your troubled comprehension.

The "would it" could be a phrase referring to "would it; it being about the loop being split into 4 pieces".

So now it's asking: Would the [statement aka "would it"], if it be it ( aka if this be a workable solution in relation to my suggestion ), still work?

This means he's asking "Would this still work?" He's also asking this question only if his statement about splitting the loop into 4 pieces is doable and workable for this type of problem, and if it relates to my suggestion.

I got the layering working and I got the positioning to work so it dont over ride, But when sonic goes to run around it he suddenly appears at the top of the loop, And it happens BOTH ways.

EDIT:

And sorry about my bad english, I have trouble bringing my words out to talk, No Im not retarded Lol

I just have trouble talking, And..I was in a rush at the time. Lol

Maybe due to the nature of your engine, the top of the loop isn't thick enough and Sonic seeps right through? Perhaps a better question, is your two halves like mine or different? If it's different, could you show me what it looks like?

Also don't worry about your English; me and rael were just messing around since though I usually read stuff like that as if it were grammatically correct, the way your words were arranged just happened to freeze me up every time. ;>

I'm suddenly having problems visualizing the issue. Could you perhaps take a before and after screenshot? Like, one before the issue, and one after Sonic got forced to the top? ( Of course, that means both screenshots should be directly after one another. ) If you copy/paste the code you're using for swapping loop layers too, that would be helpful.

I'm trying to see how I can assist you without you actually having to give anything away. ;>

Well, Im not having the problem anymore after Pro Shadowblaze helped me out on msn, But the issue is sticking all 3 peices on the grid without the 2 bottom haves disappearing, I put on half on there then the top, Everything is A-Okay. I put the second bottom peice on the other disappears, I put it the other way around THAT one disappears, It Pee's me off. Can anyone help me with that?