A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Anyone know how to fix a variable frame rate on something in an mkv file?

DimensionWarped

I'm assuming it's the video track that has the issue... but hell if I know for sure. Long story short, I got a WDTV Live, WDTV Live doesn't like variable frame rates, an hour of scouring the internet for a way to fix the video and screwing around in it with some mkvtoolnix shit produced less than favorable results, and now my chances of playing FLCL on my television without having to connect a computer to it are going drastically down.

Anyone have any clue?

I remember way back when I was into getting old movies and burning them on DVDs so that I could relive them along with introducing them to my little brothers, I had to deal with that MKV format. I saw the guides for that MKVToolnix too, but I could never really get anything to work the way I needed to. I ended up using the program ConvertXtoDVD to do exactly what I wanted as it had lovely MKV support, but I don't think burning the video to a DVD just so you can then deal with getting the movie off the DVD into a workable format to FINALLY re-encode it to have a non-variable bitrate is really something you'd want to mess with. =/

Many times I saw things regarding River Past having a product able to convert the MKV file to a workable format, but every time I've tried it, there were nasty viruses attached with the program, and when I finally got a clean copy, I believe it didn't do what I wanted ( though checking now, their site claims you need a special MKV pack to work with the format ).

Edit:

Remembering now, I used to have problems playing back MKV files on my old computer because they would be too much quality to play back in realtime. So, I eventually stumbled upon this program:

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/

I think it should do exactly what you want; it's worked well with everything I fed to it too, including those rarer OGM files.