A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

NEW - Sonic Fangame - Free Roam - MAY JOIN IN

A.T.

Working on a Sonic fan game for some time now and I would like many people to participate in the developing of it!

The team needs -

Modelers

Texture Artists

Animators

Coders (in the Unity 3 Engine)

and Level Artist as well as concept artists!

Here is an OLD video of the project!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mmgNVqWkOw

THIS IS NOT ANOTHER SONIC ENGINE! THIS IS FROM SCRATCH!

Check out http://www.at-music.biz/ for more details!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Working on a Sonic fan game for some time now and I would like many people to participate in the developing of it!

The team needs -

Modelers

Texture Artists

Animators

Coders (in the Unity 3 Engine)

and Level Artist as well as concept artists!

Here is an OLD video of the project!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mmgNVqWkOw

THIS IS NOT ANOTHER SONIC ENGINE! THIS IS FROM SCRATCH!

Check out http://www.at-music.biz/ for more details!

Looks really cool so far. I love the lighting, it must look great when running in fantastic mode. :)

Looks really cool so far. I love the lighting, it must look great when running in fantastic mode. :)

That was in fantastic mode if I'm correct, but of course the video quality was deteriorated from the screen recorder.  

I'm debating on porting it over to my Unity 4 Pro copy but if something get messes up I won't want to fix it.  So I'm suck on the decision.  If I do port it then it'll look even better and be running on Direct X 11 which is amazing with particles and shading and such.

All right. I only have my Tails voice down though.

Thats fine. PM me the link. I can do a shadow voice in English kinda. But I do an amazing job for a german Shadow and pretty good german Sonic voices.

Using the Unreal Engine to a project where, free roaming is the aim.

isn't a very good idea, since unreal is kinda limited to how big the stage can be.

I remenber Mirror Edges stages  wore cutted in 3 parts  for every stage, ( not sure if 3 or more but yeah )

Free roam? 3 words: Green Hill Paradise.

The only thing is... it's Unity. With Unity there is no good base Sonic engine. I'd advise porting over to GDK. 

Because I'm designing the engine hahaha.  Plus I don't really care for GDK and porting it would be next to impossible.  I don't like UDK's engine at all.

Free roam? 3 words: Green Hill Paradise.

3 words.

Worst level Design

Barely any detail there, it's all about using the terrain tools, 

That isn't free roam, that's pure randomness with assets added to make it look like a "stage".

Also if  someone makes a fan game, fans usually expect quality, Not a random terrain with textures painted all over with the brush tool , and some assets added to make it look like something it isn't. 

But nowadays sonic fan's are pretty much amazed with anything they can't do.

Because I'm designing the engine hahaha.  Plus I don't really care for GDK and porting it would be next to impossible.  I don't like UDK's engine at all.

It's always further more rewarding creating something from scratch, then using something already made.

Anyways goodluck on programming the engine. 

Hoping to see more .

3 words.

Worst level Design

That isn't free roam, that's pure randomness with assets added to make it look like a "stage".

Also if  someone makes a fan game, fans usually expect quality, Not a random terrain with textures painted all over with the brush tool , and some assets added to make it look like something it isn't. 

I agree with Slade.  I enjoyed Green Hill Paradise for a bit but wasn't much.  Kinda poor if you ask me, but I shouldn't be the critic of what's good or bad since I still have loads of bugs and ugly level design in my fan game.  Free roam sonic game is fully do-able, it will just require computers to have decent to good specs to be able to process the whole land mass (assuming you are having loads of terrain).

I'm debating to porting over my Sonic game to Unity 4.1 Pro and move on from 3.5 (already own both but on different computers and doing my actual game in Untiy 4.1)

3 words.

Worst level Design

It's always further more rewarding creating something from scratch, then using something already made.

Anyways goodluck on programming the engine. 

Hoping to see more .

No, I mean take something like Green Hill Paradise and make it into something!

• 5 weeks later...

So is this something of a sandbox thing? Part of what makes GTA so amazing is all the stuff you can do. I can easily see a lot of zones or similar fitting in, provided the sheer number of buildings/objects doesn't wreak havoc with the processor/video card.

Can you run on water?

So is this something of a sandbox thing? Part of what makes GTA so amazing is all the stuff you can do. I can easily see a lot of zones or similar fitting in, provided the sheer number of buildings/objects doesn't wreak havoc with the processor/video card.

Can you run on water?

Yes its a sandbox game built from its own engine within Unity Game Engine.

There is currently no water as of right now, but the idea of adding water and running on it is possible and will hopefully be added soon.

So when can we expect a demo?

idk - I may upload an early demo for web browsers. It will be on my website, which is currently under major construction. But for a full fledge demo it will be a little bit. It depends on if I should work more on the animation series (Sonic Cartoon) or the game. I was thinking of doing a couple fixes to the game however as we speak right now.