A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SEGA: 'making the quality better in sonic-games will take time'

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sega should just put the names of several AAA studios in a hat, pick one, and just shove Sonic off to them.

There wouldn't be any guarantee that the Sonic games would improve, but at least other companies have the vision to make Sonic suck in new and interesting ways (See Sonic and the Dark Brotherhood).

Miyamoto or Inafune would be the best bet. Miyamoto has never made a bad game, and he has a habit of pulling out new and awesome ideas, and Inafune, besides being the creator of ANOTHER iconic blue character, has been doing some awesome new shit recently (Dead Rising and Lost Planet, anyone?). Also, Capcom, whenever they do different stuff with Mega Man, have the sense to make a new sub-series based around the idea (X, Zero, Battle Network, etc.), they don't do the shit to the original Mega Man that Sega constantly does to Sonic.

Miyamoto or Inafune would be the best bet. Miyamoto has never made a bad game, and he has a habit of pulling out new and awesome ideas, and Inafune, besides being the creator of ANOTHER iconic blue character, has been doing some awesome new shit recently (Dead Rising and Lost Planet, anyone?). Also, Capcom, whenever they do different stuff with Mega Man, have the sense to make a new sub-series based around the idea (X, Zero, Battle Network, etc.), they don't do the shit to the original Mega Man that Sega constantly does to Sonic.
I think that is what sega is trying to do now. Notice how black knight and secret rings are both "path" based, the game basically steers it-self, and they are both labled under the "story-book" series. I guess they're trying to separate them from the mainstream titles. And unfortunately, I think that also means theyre going to come out with more.

Sega seems to believe that giving games retarded storylines and bullshit gameplay mechanics allows them to keep making them over and over again.

And they ALSO seem to believe we like their storylines. Sonic Rush Adventure was a swell game im sure, i just never got past the first stage because forcing me to talk to stupid squirrel characters on islands for permission to run fast and break shit is not a smart idea.

I didn't bother dredging through all six pages, partly because its an awful lot of reading for a topic I don't care much about, and partly because I don't want to get into any drama that may have come about because of the "lol sega" nature of the topic. So forgive me if this seems out of line with the discussion.

The statement in the topic's title seems to be fairly obvious. When a franchise has gone downhill the way Sonic has, it will take a while to bring it back. They need to know where they are going with each installment and gauging how well it works takes time. With fangames, we have the advantage of getting input and feedback every step of the way, but with commercial games they have to try to take what works and make it into a new game with each subsequent release... some will be hit-or-miss, some will be decent, others will be failed experiments.

As much as some people hated Sonic Unleashed, I'm sure most everyone can agree that it has the most polish of any Sonic game yet (Genesis games don't count because polish doesn't quite mean the same thing it did then)... the flaws were gameplay quirks such as NPC or QTE complaints, loose steering or different gameplay styles being slapped alongside each other... but they weren't bugs resulted from a rushed product.

If they continue to work on the polish, then they have a chance of bringing the series back near the top, though I don't believe it is possible for some of the more disillusioned fans to ever be brought back (nothing against those that are, I've just heard complaints so many times that I can't even stand hearing my own!) I do believe its possible for them to be quality games regardless of who likes it.

As much as some people hated Sonic Unleashed, I'm sure most everyone can agree that it has the most polish of any Sonic game yet (Genesis games don't count because polish doesn't quite mean the same thing it did then)... the flaws were gameplay quirks such as NPC or QTE complaints, loose steering or different gameplay styles being slapped alongside each other... but they weren't bugs resulted from a rushed product.

This actually makes alot of sense. I mean sure there was the slowdown, but otherwise alot of my dislike from Unleashed did in fact stem from stupid design choices. Like healing QTE failure and awful placement of everything.