A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Babies

sonicabbiescopy-1.jpg

Sonic Babies, a party game suitable for 4 player :P

10 mini games demo

Please refer to the control below:

Player 1 (Sonic)

Up - W

Down - S

Left - A

Right - D

Button 1 - F

Button 2 - G

Button 3 - R

Button 4 - T

Player 2 (Tails)

Up - Up key

Down - Down key

Left - Left key

Right - Right key

Button 1 - Keypad 1

Button 2 - Keypad 2

Button 3 - Keypad 4

Button 4 - Keypad 5

Player 3 (Shadow)

Up - I

Down - K

Left - J

Right - L

Button 1 - ;

Button 2 - '

Button 3 - P

Button 4 - [

Player 4 (Amy)

Controller 1 (will be replaced with the same button input as Player 1 if no controller is detected)

While its clearly early in development, I definitely love the presentation. At first glance it may turn off some Sonic fans, but I found it very cute and quite appropriate to the genre. The minigames were generally quite fun with four players, but it wasn't perfect.

First off, the stealth and the spike minigames drag on forever, so that we almost never get to win either one. I would like to see the stealth game allow players to be a little bit more bold instead of requiring you to hide every couple milliseconds. The spike minigame doesn't really give you enough warning making what could be one of the most dynamic minigames feel rather cheap.

The only minigame which feels unsound in concept is the jumping minigame. It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that can work effectively in a basic engine. Maybe you can make the players try to jump over a series of hazards at the right time instead a'la the wave race from Kirby's Amazing Mirror so that the player feels he has more control over the way the game plays out.

The fact that the minigames can get old after a while on their own is to be expected as most other party games work the same way. However, even if there are not CPU's, I'd like to disable certain players before playing, because otherwise its only possible to play while we have four players.

Overall, I really think this has a lot of potential, and can't wait to see it more fully fleshed out later. BTW, I wanna seem more of Uncle Knux! =D

It needs to restart to play the demo? D: I'd better fix it some other time :P

Thanks for the thorough review and opinions, JEV3! :D I haven't heard much positive opinions on this game since it first make it into SAGE. Maybe I should have chosen normal Sonic and friends instead? ):

Thanks for the thorough review and opinions, JEV3! :D I haven't heard much positive opinions on this game since it first make it into SAGE. Maybe I should have chosen normal Sonic and friends instead? ):

One thing you have to keep in mind is that if people have a legitimate problem with your game, you can try to address it... however if its merely opinionated bashing, its rather pointless to give in because there is really no way you'll be able to satisfy everybody, especially if they have as much a reputation for being harsh and unforgiving as do Sonic fans.

Which IMO, the first impression is most important.

Well the reason why I was apprehensive about it at first was because I thought it was a joke game that ought to have been in RAGE. The Sage booth quickly changed my mind, however, as it looked far too professional to simply be a parody.

However, fans that do not automatically assume the title "Sonic Babies" indicates an amatuerish game or a "troll game" may have better impressions as the premise fits the genre.

Therefore, its probably not worth worrying too much over. All you can do is keep the stylized artwork at the forefront to remind prospective players that proper effort went into this game.

It sure is nice to see some hard work paid off with that article =D Although... it's really one person behind all the works ^^;

JEV3:

"Stylized" artwork is up. Supposedly something I will include in the "Extra" mode XD It's wonderful to know what you think of my game, Jev. Perhaps one of a few who took it seriously. Just look at this comment.

Kitoko:

Oh, so someone finally made a game featuring this spawn of the internet :P

Anyway, here's a portion of some artworks I did for the game, since they won't go anywhere further than their folder:

img436.jpg

img404.jpg

img429.jpg

Sonicbabiessketch.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/canniengui/img404.jpg

d'awww... run away baby tails! I also love the promo art on the first post. X3

That reminds me though, you may want to go through the fonts and do a bit of clean-up, I remember seeing some anti-aliasing artifacts in some of the text.

It's gonna be a pain, but a good image editing program may make it easier. The wand tool in GIMP and a similar select regions by similar color tool in any other photoshop utility ought to help... just make sure there's no anti-aliasing or feathering on or you'll end up with the same problem all over again!

Keep up the good work!

This is one of the most awesome fan games I've ever seem!

Like, it's the very first time this concept was ever made for a Sonic game. Who would think of that? Comes to be a brilliant mind in order to plot such a unique idea.

By the way, gotta love how Knuckles is a Babysitter! =D LOL

My only complain is that Eggman should be a teenager. Other than that, it's quite fine.

I can almost smell sarcasm in your post, Endri XD But if it's not, thanks ^^;

Well, Eggman has that moustache since his a baby (http://captricosakara.deviantart.com/art/SONIC-BABIES-12867831) so.. XD

JEV3, I remember cleaning the background with Photoshop. But at the end, they still exist as white in MMF2 ): But later these days I found out about the Tolerance for Bucket tool. Will fix these soon. Thanks for your supports. =D

Canniengui, I'll be honest with ya.

When I first saw the game, I didn't give it much thought. When I looked at the screenshots and the direction of the game though, I thought it was a pretty interesting idea that could be quite fun with proper execution...

There comes the problem though, your game just didn't come out that fun. It feels really sloppy combined with not that great graphics ( even for a baby game! ) and multiplayer mechanics that need to be done in a different way other than all on one computer for it to be any good. If this is all because of a rushed result to get a demo in for SAGE, then...you really shouldn't have, because it puts on a bad image for the game. If that's not the case however, you may want to consider going back and fixing up and improving on what you have. It would make Sonic Babies really start to shine. ;>

Art work is great btw.