A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

E02, Sonic: Project Mettrix, and Megaman: Triple Threat

Stealth

E02 has gone cross-platform! In addition to the original DOS and Windows versions, there are now builds for x86 Linux, PPC and x86 MacOSX, Wii, and PSP!

Check out the booth here:

http://stealth.hapisan.com/SAGE09/

The documentation for E02 has been completely updated and converted to HTML, with example script usage and tons of cross-reference links

Sonic the Hedgehog: Project Mettrix has received a few fixes, some music has been converted to XM format, and there is also a prototype of the Bronze Lake Zone level intended for the final game

Megaman: Triple Threat has had its music converted to XM, and has received a couple of fixes

Great work on E02 as usual, Stealth. I've been playing with the editors a little bit. Its a bit complicated, but I havent seen what all the tools can do.

My question (Without looking deep into the editing tools) is that is it possible to make more than just platformers with this? Say if I want to make a top down type of game, I'm sure its entirely possible. Right? Although obviously I would have to provide the skills necessary to pull off the math required for some of the more complicated type of player movements which is...not going to be my strong suit. But I am curious.

It sure is. E02 itself pretty much leaves game-specific Player and Object behavior and interaction stuff to the scripts

Depending on what exactly it is you want to do, you could either still use the same Player Management system that's best used for platforming players, or if you want to go simpler, you could skip that and use Objects as Players instead

It's pretty versatile.. stuff you should be able to get out of it would include, but wouldn't be limited to, platformers, shooters, RPGs, fighters, puzzle games..

How do you get it to work on WII?

• Make sure you have the Homebrew Channel Installed on your Wii
  • Insert a SD into your Computer
  • Drag the Mattrix files to the "apps" folder on your SD card
  • Boot up your Wii and insert your SD card
  • Start the Homebrew Channel
  • Select E02 and your ready to play

I know its too much to ask, but would it be possible to have at least 4 player splitscreen possible? Speaking of multiplayer, how is that going to work on the Wii and PSP? So far competition does not work at all when I tried getting it to work on PSP.

Plus, what about resolution settings? Not just on the PSP, but what about widescreen options? Or maybe settings for 16:9 or 16:10 screens?

I just want to say flat out. I'm very interested in making a game in this engine. I love the idea of it being cross platform, and its somewhat primitive behavior gives it a nice charm when it comes to developing a game.

But I dont know anything about scripting. On top of that, I do feel that the interface for the editing tools for E02 is a little too complicated to easily start a game from scratch, let alone make a new level for Project Mettrix or Triple Threat. I'm sure if I study the stuff that you've written on the engine, I could make stuff out of it easily.

Overall, I just wish things were easier to work with. Maybe I'm just dumb. Maybe I'm just lazy. I dont mean make it easy to work with like in Click and Create or something. But some parts could be a little bit easier to work with. Such as drop down menus that I can click on with my mouse instead of hitting keys on the keyboard that have VERY specific functions.

Guest RonEchidna
I just want to say flat out. I'm very interested in making a game in this engine. I love the idea of it being cross platform, and its somewhat primitive behavior gives it a nice charm when it comes to developing a game.

But I dont know anything about scripting. On top of that, I do feel that the interface for the editing tools for E02 is a little too complicated to easily start a game from scratch, let alone make a new level for Project Mettrix or Triple Threat. I'm sure if I study the stuff that you've written on the engine, I could make stuff out of it easily.

Overall, I just wish things were easier to work with. Maybe I'm just dumb. Maybe I'm just lazy. I dont mean make it easy to work with like in Click and Create or something. But some parts could be a little bit easier to work with. Such as drop down menus that I can click on with my mouse instead of hitting keys on the keyboard that have VERY specific functions.

I can give you some amount of advice; I had to learn how to script it in less than a month, and while I still keep making mistakes and getting stuck in places, I feel fairly confident about being able to point out stuff. The docs Stealth wrote are very informative, but I understand it can be easy to get lost if you don't know what you're doing at all.

I'd recommend starting off by editing one of the existing games and levels before starting anything new. To get a feel the editors, you might wanna just make a backup copy of the folder for the level you wanna edit, then get in there, start moving stuff around, play around with all the different controls to see what they do, and you'll find that all the basic features (and some of the more advanced ones) are pretty easy to work out!

Once you're used to it and want to start making an original level, design all your artwork in a paint program (I'd recommend Paint Shop Pro for it's palette retaining abilities, that make this kind of thing so much easier). While the tile editor included is good for making changes, drawing solidity and the occasional piece of small artwork, using dedicated graphic software and importing your art is always gonna be better. You wanna be using the first 64 colours in the palette of a 256 colour pcx or tga, and the first colour is your transparent colour. Remember as the system works in 8x8 tiles, anything you'll want to repeat, like backgrounds, floor textures etc will need to be multiples of 8.

You can design as much as you want in that format, for example in Bronze Lake I not only designed all the individual pieces used, but also put together the basic level in PSP. This seemed quicker for me to make a first act of a new level, cause if I noticed I needed a 128x128 pixel section, I could draw it straight away without having to quit the editor and rip more tiles. However once you've made a basic level and know you've got all the pieces, then you'll be better off designing in the level editor.

Once you've got all your level art together, use the level ripper function (check out Stealth's docs for more info), and start building your level!