A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Moving on ice and skidding on ice?

Appo

Hey i was wondering how i would go about making a slipppery surface movement o sonic starts off with less acceleration then slides for abit when the user let go of the controls but if the usere preses the opposite way then sonic skids a bit longer than usual, any help would be apreciated :)

Hey i was wondering how i would go about making a slipppery surface movement o sonic starts off with less acceleration then slides for abit when the user let go of the controls but if the usere preses the opposite way then sonic skids a bit longer than usual, any help would be apreciated :)

Well what i'd do is make a value named "Ice area" then probably get some sort of sensory system going on to detect when it is needed to be that and i'd also make the following exprestion.

Ice area = 1 Set Xacel 0.24

Set Yacel 0.24

ECT.

Hope that helped you a bit.

Here's what I'd do-

Make a variable for being on ice. Something like Player_OnIce would fit SW's natural coding.

Pretend it's a Boolean value- 0 for false, 1 for true.

Make sensors that set it to 0 or 1.

When it's 0, set X acceleration to the default values.

When it's 1, lower the x acceleration so it takes longer to start and longer to stop.

For animation you might want to set sonic to only play the walking or running animations when the direction key is held. You might also want to fool with the values for Slope Acceleration. if you raise it Sonic should slide down hills and speed up and slow down more going up hills. That'd make for some slippery, slidy levels. Hope this helped.

Here's what I'd do-

Make a variable for being on ice. Something like Player_OnIce would fit SW's natural coding.

Pretend it's a Boolean value- 0 for false, 1 for true.

Make sensors that set it to 0 or 1.

When it's 0, set X acceleration to the default values.

When it's 1, lower the x acceleration so it takes longer to start and longer to stop.

For animation you might want to set sonic to only play the walking or running animations when the direction key is held. You might also want to fool with the values for Slope Acceleration. if you raise it Sonic should slide down hills and speed up and slow down more going up hills. That'd make for some slippery, slidy levels. Hope this helped.

Similar to my method but I don't own that method obviously so.

Thanks, i thought it might of been something like that so rep up, but even though it does work, the skid still remains the same and i've tried fiddeling with th skid rate value but nothing. I basicaly wand him to stay in the skid state longer, can any1 help please?

Thanks, i thought it might of been something like that so rep up, but even though it does work, the skid still remains the same and i've tried fiddeling with th skid rate value but nothing. I basicaly wand him to stay in the skid state longer, can any1 help please?

I could try to edit it myself but I don't know were i can download SonicWorlds.

oh yeah sorry, yeah i've tied it and it does work for slow acceleration and slow deceliration but the skid is the same if u build up speed then press the other way the skid stops you as normal, dunno how to deal with that though :S

EDIT: It's ok figured the skid par out, you jyst have to set the skid rate lower than what it is at the mo