A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Has anyone here used XNA?

Rawr

Not sure if this fits in this part of the forum, I wasn't sure where to put it. So if it needs to be moved, please move it so its not in the wrong spot and all that =).

Anywho, I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Microsofts XNA tool at all. I'm thinking of eventually learning how to use it, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to pick up and all that jazz - or rather how effective it really is. There are a lot of community games on Xbox Live that are really poor, most of them aren't even games. I imagine though it is more or less along the lines of how much effort you put in = how much quality you get out of it, since there are a couple that look alright.

So if anyone has any thoughts about XNA before I make a decision on whether or not eventually I will pick it up (which probably won't be until I get a new computer) I'd love to hear 'em. I just want to have somewhat of an idea of what its all about before I do try.

Reason I ask this is because I'm going to be taking 3D Animation and Game design in college next year and when its all said and done I want to try and make a game based off the knowledge I get out of those courses and maybe put together a small demo game. If I can discipline myself to do it, I'd do it all 2D with hand-drawn visuals but that would take me ages to do haha.

Thanks!

eh, i played around with it for a bit. ported a good bit of that old sonic dash engine to it, but didn't feel like writing up editor programs for stuff like maps and animation (this was before i obtained REALbasic, which is pretty good at that sort of thing). anyways, if you've ever used game maker you should have almost no problem picking it up. my gripe is that the xna framework provides pretty much only high-level access to stuff hardware functions (understandable, since its pretty much a consumer's xbox 360 sdk), which can actually be good for new programmers. also the obvious lack of portability to other OSes.

anyways, give it a download and play around with it.

My team made our Global Game Jam Game with it... though we probably should've just used Construct, MMF, Processing, or just XNA 2D in order to do it...

It's very easy to get stuff on screen, move it around, etc...

This is a decent tutorial to get started. Well, it's what I used...

http://creators.xna.com/en-US/education/gettingstarted

At the Global Game Jam, we were able to get a shell of our game working, except that making all the assets plus the game took up so much time that we realized we shouldn't have used 3D to begin with... XD

For hillarity's sake: http://globalgamejam.org/games/materialism-98ms2

I recommend all you guys try to do a GGJ next year... It's held worldwide and it's extremely fun... You meet some great people, developers, and have 48 hours of fun...

Alright, thanks a lot for the input guys, and the tutorial links as well!

I'll definitely download this when I get a new computer (which should be at least by the end of summer) and fiddle with it in my spare time. The knowledge on how to code stuff would probably be a nice thing to get out of this as well =)

• 3 weeks later...
...if you've ever used game maker you should have almost no problem picking it up.

Hmm.. how similar exactly is GML to C? Could you, in theory, set up several small engine tests with the drag-and-drop interface like you would in MMF and then study the resulting GML to learn C? If not, does anyone know of another way to learn? In 11th grade, I tried reading some book, but I didn't really latch on... but if anyone knows of any good learning material/examples to look at/etc I'm definitely down. I'm looking to design something and, ideally, get it to run a Zune via XNA. Overall I don't think my concept is too "out there" or complicated but...

Edit: And I've bookmarked the link ssbfalcon posted,

because gml is similar enough to c#, one with a good grasp on the coding fundamentals could learn it easily. there isn't a drag and drop interface though. its pure code. when i was learning it, i just used the tutorial links on the xna homepage and kept the documentation close by for reference.

Ehhhhhhhhh I wouldn't say they're similar in terms of coding fundamentals. GML is weakly typed with weird array issues. C# is completely managed code. Read a book on programming language concepts to understand a lil more.

They both share C-styled syntax, but that's about where the similarities end.