A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Windows 7 RC1

DJ espeed

As some of you already know, MS has released the first RC of Windows 7. I've already DL'd and installed it, and I want to know if anyone else had downloaded the RC and installed the RC.

Personally, this is probably the greatest Windows version ever. Virtual XP Mode (Beta) is awesome, however, there's a catch to it--You gotta download Virtual PC beta and the XP Installer (But I think that once you get things settled away, you're set for having a good time with 7.

Despite being an exceptional OS, for those of you who crave those contradicting facts... Windows 7 is not technically Windows 7. The kernel that is under all of that nice GUI is NT6.1. So, it's safe to say that Windows 7 is Vista MKII, architecture-wise.

i got to use an earlier build of windows 7 for quite some time, and it's basically vista without the bullshit, it ran everything that vista could run and never really threw a fit about anything. I'm definitely going to upgrade to it (i don't buy, i get enterprise keys from my dad :D) when it's finally out.

I'm currently on build 7077. I have the RC ready to install, but I'm waiting until my finals are over to convert. I'm going to do a fresh install, so I want to have the proper time to do it. Windows 7 has impressed me on many levels. While it is pretty much Vista 2.0 under the hood, the OS is now much more responsive due to the fact that the 7 can manage GDI locks for applications much better...no more global locks that prevent other applications from drawing to the screen. But anyways, I've thoroughly enjoying 7 since build 7000, I don't have much to complain about at all.

I just want to know how games work under Window 7

I've been using 7 since the beta came out and I've been gaming on it. I've experience no awkward slow downs or other issues to complain of. It's just as good as my XP install was and I feel that it's faster than Vista.

Apparently MS botched the XP emulation in Win7, and a lot of PCs won't be able to run it.

Don't count on Win7 being backward compatible with XP applications.

=Smidge=

That makes sense to a degree...XP Mode works off of virtualization technology, thus your processor should have to support virtualization. While I know MS could have opted to use binary translation methods instead, I think this would be a good incentive for Intel to make VT a more common feature on lower-end processors. Besides, they're still giving away XP for free...so, I don't know, I feel like they have no obligation to make this feature at all. Maybe it was easier for them to rely on VT hardware, cut them some slack, they didn't have to offer XPM. I personally think it's very generous of MS.

And don't count on it being backwards compatible with XP apps? If it worked in Vista, it will almost certainly work in 7. If it didn't work in Vista, there's a chance it might work in 7. I don't get why you're saying don't count on XP apps being backwards compatible...a lot were with Vista and are with 7.

Shouldn't be any worse than Vista in that regard though right?

Nope, shouldn't be.

yeah. reboots every two hours after march 1, 2010? wtf

It's a little strange, I'll admit, however by that time the RTM version should be out and they'll want people to buy the real copy. I think they could have started that process a month or two later, but it's their choice. Hey, it's better than being totally locked out after the expiration date is up.

Smidge, get off Microsoft's dick already with the Virtual Machine bashing.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that in order to Virtualize an environment, you need a processor that supports Virtualization. That's like saying "Oh shit VMWare fucked up because people with older or cheap processors can't use it they should be ashamed." They didn't mislead the public; the public is ignorant for not using common sense.

I'm on the RC (32-bit and 64-bit) now and both machines are happier than pigs in shit.

My laptop is fairly new (AMD Turion 64 x2 @ 1.8 GHz, 4GB DDR2) and everything hauls on it. A lot of the little "gimmick" features they added in have proven very useful over the past semester. I was using IE8 for awhile but fell back on Firefox because I love AdBlock Plus :E

My older Dell desktop has a P4, 2GB of DDR, and the mobo was made in like 2003 or some shit. It had Vista Business on it last semester, but since putting Win7 on, it's been like Joan Rivers after her 8th facelift; all smiles and peppy.

I don't know how common the sense of needing specialized processors to use an operating system feature would be... it seems common when looking at a pool of techies like most of us are.

I think Smidge's problem with this though is probably more tied to the fact that this means Windows 7 won't be of any benefit to a large network of existing computers. Since the XP environment was a feature added primarily to please network admins who hated Vista's mass funkiness, and since most of these guys probably aren't going to get a budget to buy new machines or new processors for whatever computers they are putting Windows 7 on, it ends up being a bit of a shill to them.

Another cool feature is the ability to stream media thru WMP over the internet

Isn't that more of a feature of the new WMP than Windows 7, and more to the point, isn't that a feature that just about every other media player (ones that are actually worth using for instance) has had for a long time?

Isn't that more of a feature of the new WMP than Windows 7, and more to the point, isn't that a feature that just about every other media player (ones that are actually worth using for instance) has had for a long time?

You're right. Winamp has offered Orb for awhile, etc... but I don't see iTunes doing that and the last time I checked, that's what the majority of users end up installing for their shit.

Again, this isn't a discussion of "how Microsoft is catching up to the Jones'"... it's a discussion of how the new operating system is sweet and includes this stuff out of the box without the need for 3rd party shit that most Joe Schmoes don't know about or are too afraid to install.

My mother, for instance, would never attempt to install Winamp. She wouldn't even know what that was. But if the computer plays music out of the box the way she wants and its stable and pretty, she'd be happy.

Get my point?

I would never use WMP either, nor do I have a need for XPC, but it's there out of the box and works, ya know.

Apparently a few people have benchmarked 7 vs Vista and have found Vista to be "faster" at a few things, but this was the Beta build of 7... Everyone seems to agree tho that 7 just FEELS and LOOKS better. I agree. If I can't get a copy from MSDN, I'll buy that shit.

Windows 7 feels, on the whole, more snappy thanks to the reworking of how the OS handles locks on the screen for drawing with GDI. But I agree with Epon, it both looks and feel better. I loaded up Vista since I needed to get back to that OS to look at something and I just didn't like it, I couldn't stand it. 7 is a winner in my opinion. =)

By the way DW, I find WMP to be plenty stable and easy to use for just listening to a random set of songs every once in awhile. I use MPC for most of my other viewing needs though, so I hear you for the most part. I don't find anything inherently wrong with WMP though, MPC just tends to be faster and easier for viewing things like MKVs with subtitles and multiple audio streams.

I threw the RC on a spare hard drive recently.

Honestly, I'm impressed on how they've managed to update the OS. I've been on a combination of Win98 and XP for years, and totally skipped Vista except for some people's tech support calls. I'm seeing what I did like from my brief Vista exposure coupled with some other neat features. I was rather surprised by its performance as I'm running on the minimum 1 GB of RAM and integrated video, but even with Aero completely enabled it runs comparably to my XP install.

I thought about switching to it immediately, but I decided not to because a) I just reinstalled XP a little while ago and just now got it all set up to do everything my old install did and I don't feel like setting it all up again and B) to couple with part a, I don't want to have to do it _again_ when the final version comes out and I need to update to it.

Regardless of what I pick, though, it's still Windows... which I don't particularly like. I'd pick Mac OS X over it any day, but Windows 7 here would be a wonderful update for the capable half of my PC fleet.

• 2 weeks later...