A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PC problems.

Asuma

I having a issue. My PC randomly freezes or randomly freeze, then auto resets itself. It start when I came home yesterday. I think it might be my fan or power supply. Sometimes it would freeze/restart itself right after boot-up, or after a few hours it's on. Some where between 5 to 8 or so hours. I think it's time I get a new PC though. That means I gotta find a job.

I had a similar problem; I ended up reformatting and it worked fine after that. Give that a try if you haven't already.

As for the job market, I've heard grocery stores in the metro Atlanta area are really hurting for workers, especially Kroger. If you still live there, I'd suggest applying now. :)

I really want to avoid reformatting. I do not want to install that stuff over again. I think I might try update my graphics drivers. If all else fails, I might just reformat.

Updating my graphics are fucked it up. I tried uninstall my drivers, then reinstalling them. I'm going to have reformat. My compture can't even detect my garphics card.

If you have a graphics card, make sure the fan is spinning and not stuck.

If that's not a concern, reformat the bitch.

If that's still an issue, I suggest downloading some diagnostics tools and making sure your HDD, CPU, etc are running at the correct temperatures.

If that is still giving you issues, grab a fucking beer and drink your woes away as you order on NewEgg

5-8 hours after being idle the whole time, 5-8 hours of active use, 5-8 hours browsing, what? I can probably help figure out the source of the problem, but I need more information about how and why it is crashing. Also, is the amount of time that it lasts reduced after an immediate startup or is it the same as a fresh start?

Now I'm getting constant Bsod. It's seems like a hardware issue. Might be due to overheating though. I'm trying to back up mystuff.

Anyway, I get the BSOD/Freezing when I'm doing just about anything.

A faulty power supply can also be the cause. Bad power = unstable system. If you happen to have a spare laying around (probably not, but...) or another computer with a compatible supply, try swapping it out and see if it gets better.

Of course, the PSU is only one component in the power supply chain. Faulty capacitors on the mainboard can also cause sporadic system failures. Cheap boards mean cheap capacitors, and cheap capacitors can go south very quickly.

If your system was shutting down on heat, there would be an alarm to do along with it.

=Smidge=

Windows Repair lol

Format the bitch. It's good to do it every couple months anyway. If you wait a few more days, nab the Windows 7 RC coming out from Microsoft. Sign up and download it for free. You won't be disappointed.

Will it work with the latest games, software, etc? I have AGP card so. Yeah. Should work with Windows 7, right?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21Ghz

GeForce 7300GT VRAM 512mb

Anyways, some the BSOD reported errors with

SPFX.SYS

atapi.sys

Windows 7 sucks so bad that Microsoft is literally cramming an XP virtual machine into it, 'cause they know nobody's going to fucking use Windows 7.

Reformatting will not solve a hardware problem. This sounds like a hardware problem.

If it hangs when plugging in USB devices, it may be a poorly grounded/marginal USB bus or header. The machine I'm using right now has similar problems - if I don't touch the USB connector of my thumb drive to the case first, the machine will hang when I plug it in. There's definitely something funny with electric potentials going on but I've never actually solved it.

Hardware problems are easy to test.

=Smidge=

Smidge... have you tried anything with Win7 yet? It shits on Vista, is amazingly stable on lower-end PCs, and its new features are perfect for illiterate users.

They're shoving the VM in there strictly to appeal to corpo IT people too afraid to upgrade. It's a marketing strategy, that's it.

Windows 7 sucks so bad that Microsoft is literally cramming an XP virtual machine into it, 'cause they know nobody's going to fucking use Windows 7.

Reformatting will not solve a hardware problem. This sounds like a hardware problem.

If it hangs when plugging in USB devices, it may be a poorly grounded/marginal USB bus or header. The machine I'm using right now has similar problems - if I don't touch the USB connector of my thumb drive to the case first, the machine will hang when I plug it in. There's definitely something funny with electric potentials going on but I've never actually solved it.

Hardware problems are easy to test.

=Smidge=

Funny thing is, it started out of the blue.

If it's a hardware problem, it might be a bad driver? Otherwise, I'd have to find myself a job.

You've been a lot of help. I'll rep you all.

20GB of Steam games to download. Oh, joy

Err...I think Smidge is right. Although I think I've found the issue. I think it's my router. When I plug it in, it does the BSOD.

Wait what? Your computer is plugged into your router via ethernet cable and its BSODing? That doesn't make sense unless its your network card shitting on itself.

Try to replicate the problem based on what you said. If you can, replace or install another network card and try again. If the problem goes away, you know it's shitty hardware. If it continues, try latest drivers. If it still continues, then it's probably something completely else.