A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Absolute beginner with MMF

Nebula

As the title suggests, Im an absolute beginner with MMF. Im starting my own Sonic Fan Game and thought that since the Sonic Worlds Engine is being used so much, that I will use that.

Im not sure how to use the Engine in MMF or how to load it or anything like that. Im going to look at the tutorials on the website to do other things, but I just need help to get started.

Please help. Thanks.

I wouldn't suggest using the Sonic Worlds engine to learn how to use MMF; there's far too much going on in it. Start with something like this...

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=6&id=3

...learn how it works, play with it, change things and see how the engine is affected, etc. Then, move up to more advanced concepts.

-----------------

As for how to load it, just double click on the .mfa/.cca file and it should start it. Or, open MMF2 and use the standard "File -> Open" command to open it.

Good luck.

Thanks USC! I will play around with it and attempt to make something simple to start with.

But how do I load the Sonic Worlds Engine into MMF? So I know when Im ready to get into the more advanced stuff.

The Sonic Worlds Engine is for MMF2, Just thought i'd clear that up.

Ive played around a bit with the static engine you sent me USC.

Ive started from scratch trying to recreate things, so that I learn how things work etc, instead of just using a pre-made engine.

Im going to ask some pretty noobish questions as Ive tried searching for platform tutorials without much luck and the main site doesnt have a tutorial on the Absolute Basics.

Ive made Sonic my character with Platform Movement. Ive got ground as a Backdrop Object. Ive made it an Obstacle with Collision with Box ticked, but Sonic still falls through the ground.

How do I make sure Sonic can actually walk on the ground?

I know this is a noobish question, but I am starting from scratch.

How do you make sure Sonic is on the ground? Employ a sensor object which is placed in relation to Sonic. Reposition the sensor any time after Sonic gets moved and use that sensor to check for collisions.

Basically it will go underneath Sonic (delta X = 0; delta Y = some number which results in the position being under his feet), and when it is overlapping, you set Sonic as being on the ground... which entails a number of things... like not moving/having speed in the relative Y axis unless you leave the ground.