A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Final Fantasy 8 Was For PC? o.O

Aaron C-T

I've beat all main FFs except 2 and X-2 (plus T and MQ). I love the way FF7 gives you awesome new materia for you to try out every 10 minutes. It also has a quite impressive story, though perhaps not the best of the FFs. Anyway, the only FFs I dislike are 2 and X-2; neither are cause of their lack of quality. FF2 was just annoying missing 2/3 of your attacks, traveling across the world to buy a antidote that costs all your money to cure poison, and finding the most obscure place in the most obscure dungeon to find the item you need to move on. FFX-2 was just a little too much for me to bear. I really liked the battle system, but the cutscenes were nausiating and the minigames were... ughn.

I'd put FF6,7,10 on the highest pedestal (excelent games to the point of near perfection); FF1,8,T on the next highest (extremely great games in most aspects and perfect in others); FF3,4,5,9 on the next highest (but still very very good); and FFMQ,2,X-2 on the lowest (a pedestal of meh).

(Yea, I'm a FF fanboy...)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I distinctly remember seeing FF7 and FF8 for PC in Best Buy and Staples plenty of times, WAYY back in the past.

Although, on the box it showed everyone using their final weapons (Cloud's ultima Weapon and Squalls Lionheart) on like the first parts of the game, which made me wonder how much they altered the gameplay for PC.

I never bought any of them, only for the fact that i had both of them on Playstation. (Yes, this was a LONG time ago.)

I never remember seeing FF9 on PC, though.

--

The battle system for FF8 was nice IMO. There was no MP, instead you had to draw/Cast magic from enemies or get it from draw points. The Junction system either made you love the game or hate the game. (My sister pefers FF8 system over FF7...so yea.)

The game was very very fun to me, right out the start of the first disc. People say they used summons to win each and every fight, but i really only used them to sheild me when a boss is about to use an Uber strong attack. (When you summon the Guardian Forces on FF8, their HP sheilds you until they come out.)

FF8 is one of my favroite games, right up there with FF7 and Kingdom Hearts.

(Although the final boss was SHYT easy. Ultima weapon was harder than the final boss of FF8, and i think Omega Weapon was harder than Sepheroth.)

----

FF9 was pretty awsome too, IMO. Most people dislike it because it strays FARRR away from the style Squaresoft had for the last few years. (I think that FF9 was more of a "Back to the Roots" Final Fantasy, judging from Character Design and stuff.)

But actully, FF9 was the only final fantasy that ive played and HAVENT beaten. (The first part of the final boss is easy, but Necron is just goddammed UNFAIR. He has the potental to wipe out your ENTIRE party within the first 10 seconds of the fight, with this move that causes a random status effect to your party. The status effect CAN INCLUDE K.O., which is just plain unfair.)

--

FFX was amazing to me, but it was just TOO easy. You could swich party members at any time, and if you take the time to find Anima, the game is pretty much over. (Thats not even COUNTING the Magnus Sisters.)

They made FFX too easy by simply deciding to have your characters be able to do up to 100k damage. All my summons under Anima do 9999, and my Anima and Magnus Sisters all hit for 99,999 a pop.

The final boss was a total letdown. After you beat the first part, they decide to cast Auto-Life on your party. After you beat the first part of the final boss (which took me all of 5 miniutes), you CANT die until you beat the game.

X-2 makes you cringe until you play it. The main thing that saved X-2 was the thought to go back to Active Time. Although you play with the same 3 people the whole game, the battle system is pretty damn fun. (the improved camera system makes ALLLLLLL the difference.) I still havent beaten it yet. Since i just got a PS2, and i JUST forced one of my friends to let me borrow Kingdom Hearts, im going to end up playing that TONS more than X-2.

No one bought XI. At least no one i know. (not a SINGLE person i know or talked to has played XI.)

And I hate to say it, but i already know that XII is going to be a complete letdown. (For me anyway.) They completely trashed what made final fantasy so fun for me. The battles wont have the same Cinematic feel that they did in Random Battle mode. The game wont even feel the same, and on top of THAT, you cant even control your party members.

Every site that reviewed the game diddnt really say anything that made me want to play, which is really really sad coming from Final Fantasy. If they were going to strip away Random Battles, they could have at LEAST given it a better action system.

"Real Time ACTION" + waiting to have to attack and cast spells = lame. And i cant even IMAGINE how lame Summoning is going to feel.

I remember on FF8 I used that Card->Item skill I think Quetzecotl had on my Odin card to beat the Ultima Weapon (since I was NOT climbing down those stairs again and I had come there before I was ready). I got some Lunar Veil or something that when used on a person made them invincible FOR THE ENTIRE BATTLE; the battle that lasted over 20 turns each. I didn't have any trouble with Omega aside getting there (from the fact that my disc was dirty and the countown went down like 30 seconds every time I moved between rooms). Also, Kamikaze made things simple, along with Aura (but I preferred to keep it junctioned, since I never got above level 60 or so and it was).

FF9 is awesome. I cant believe people dont like it. There is a lot of humour, good story, lots of badass moves, and the awesome synthetis. Which you can use to combine weapons to create new ones. And the story is awesome

Don't forget the sonic-esque ending!

Anyways, I'm gonna have to agree with Seraph (gasp!) on the whole FFXII thing, I've actually played the demo, it was horrible and I kept playing it hoping for the creator of the game to like pop out and say LOL JUST KIDDING THIS IS THE REAL GAME! But no...the battle system is garbage, slow paced and just not intuitive.

And as for XI, I HAVE played the game, there are some neat Ideas thought up for it, but the battle system once again is something you'd want to choke yourself with.

Anyways, I'm gonna have to agree with Seraph (gasp!) on the whole FFXII thing, I've actually played the demo, it was horrible and I kept playing it hoping for the creator of the game to like pop out and say LOL JUST KIDDING THIS IS THE REAL GAME! But no...the battle system is garbage, slow paced and just not intuitive.

I like it :/ I prefer the old system, and the new system kinda makes the game too easy with the gambit thing, but it's not bad if you don't overuse gambit. :omg:

Oh and having to get licenses to use weapons/armour SUCKS. :rolleyes:

These emoticons are awesome. :o

Oh by the way FF9 is the best FF game ever :mad:

Don't forget the sonic-esque ending!

And as for XI, I HAVE played the game, there are some neat Ideas thought up for it, but the battle system once again is something you'd want to choke yourself with.

Can I just say as someone who played the full version that they made it all MUCH better? Cause they did.

Eh, maybe I imagined it. But it all felt more done, ya know?

Oh, and the logo for every FF game has something to do with the story incase you never noticed. FF7 being the meteor, FF4 being Kain, etc.

It might sound obvious, but it's probably because in the demo you didn't have access to changing gambits, equips and licenses and stuff which make the game that little bit more customisable.

And yeh, I just found it a little odd that the logo was just a little obscure. Maybe something like the Iifa tree, or Terra&Gaia making a mastercard-esque kinda thing? I dunno.

It might sound obvious, but it's probably because in the demo you didn't have access to changing gambits, equips and licenses and stuff which make the game that little bit more customisable.

And yeh, I just found it a little odd that the logo was just a little obscure. Maybe something like the Iifa tree, or Terra&Gaia making a mastercard-esque kinda thing? I dunno.

Ya. That, and fighting just felt better. I dunno. I'm silly.

Ya. That, and fighting just felt better. I dunno. I'm silly.

Maybe it did. It's just that I didn't notice anything notably better.

On a side note have you got any bow wielders? And have any of them had the bow that looks like a piece of concrete? That thing looks so stupid, but awesome. :o

ZOMG, I found these forum posts in a comment on a torrent site I

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

use on how to run FF7 and FF8 on par with the original (i.e. better music in 7 and better graphics and music in 8)

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5387.0

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5731.0

EDIT: hey, cool double post thingy! I must have clicked post as I was typing...

I found it silly that the crystal was the logo but you didn't see it until like... the last boss. :[

Really lame. The back of the case is all like "THE CRYSTAL RETURNS..."

.......By the end of the 3rd disc im all like where's the Plot Point....

And Necron just decided to Exist at the end of FF9 on pure commitment to piss me the ____ off.

I really dont know if you people get it when i say that boss is UNFAIR.

ZOMG, I found these forum posts in a comment on a torrent site I

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

use on how to run FF7 and FF8 on par with the original (i.e. better music in 7 and better graphics and music in 8)

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5387.0

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5731.0

EDIT: hey, cool double post thingy! I must have clicked post as I was typing...

That's the forum I posted before (look at my first post) -_-

The better music works for any machine, but the improved graphics will not work on newer Geforce Cards.

Finished FF7 about 10 times now, absolutely fantastic game, my favourite, along with Alundra (another psx classic that slipped under the radar - the 2nd one is awful btw).

I have FF8 for the PC and it isnt bad, I played all the way through to disc 3 but then lost interest, my biggest problem with the game is that there is no encouragment to explore like in 7, its just plot driven a little too much. I recently reinstalled it to find it doesn't work with my new 6600GT, and software mode is hideous.

I recently reinstalled it to find it doesn't work with my new 6600GT, and software mode is hideous.

Looks like I won't be trying it anytime soon then.

Thank God I never sold FFVII, VIII or IX for the PS1. Or Front Mission 3 for that matter. Front Mission 3 is easily on par with FFVII for awesomeness to me, even though few people even know what it is. Funnily enough, it was made by Squaresoft too.