A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Other]MMF/GM style tools for Linux?

ZFG

'Game Developer' as in program or person? If it's a program you're looking for, isn't it a little contradictory to use something like that if you're already using Linux?

a program can never be a "Game Developer", at most it could be a "Game engine" or "Game creation tool"

a program can never be a "Game Developer", at most it could be a "Game engine" or "Game creation tool"

Well technically, "Game Maker" doesn't make games, but it's called "Game Maker" nonetheless. And based off of:

Is there any Linux game developers around?

I can't really say if ZFG meant "Are there any Linux game developers around?" or "Is there a Linux game developer around?". He could have just meant "Game developer software" with the "software" part omitted.

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic, I just hate when people bitch about wording in contemporary English. Like I had a few people tell me 'That's not artwork, because it's not art, it is merely a picture.'...

Again, sorry ZFG.

Multimedia Fusion 2 runs very well under WINE, and the Professional version can make stand-alone games with a Java runtime, so the game can be played on virtually any OS. (MMF2 Standard can only make Java applets, which is essentially a multi-platform Vitalize runtime.) Game Maker is a no-go for Linux, WINE is known to be incompatible with Game Maker-created games.

However, you're probably looking for something native to Linux. This will prove to be tricky, as many people assume that if you're using Linux, you can code a game from scratch and don't need any sort of game creation environment. So your best bet is to learn a programming language like Python and use one the the many free game engine kits on the internet.