A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

MMF2 as opposed to RPG Maker for making RPGs

Cyber Rat

So, the thread title pretty much sums up my question. If I were to make your standard JRPG-styled game, would I have to go with MMF2, or with RPG maker. I know how Clickteam's products work, but I have no experience whatsoever with RPG maker, so could someone just give me a basic rundown of the pros and cons of using either program for the sake of making an JRPG-styled game?

Personally, I wouldn't touch RPG Maker with a 10 foot pole. And MMF is a pain in the ass for any kind of stat tracking and building that requires a massive amount of repetition...

I think you'd be better off with Game Maker than either of those other two, but if you really want to go somewhere with an RPG, it's a good time to start learning some real programming.

• Like 1

Well, it's probably not exactly a JRPG maker, but I know a pretty good engine to use. It's called Xtremeworlds.

It's a top-view MMORPG engine. If ya want, I can PM some screenshots of a game I know that's made from it. If ya don't want this information...that's explanatory.

Using GM, with time you can got tired or bored or whatever that makes you stop making the game.

I used rpg maker for a long time before using GM and I can say if you want to make an rpg, GM will bring you a lot of work that in RPG maker is done yet.

An example of this is the big number of variables you will need to set that in RPG Maker interface are well organized and you will not got lost.

And for making scenes, in rpg maker setting up an event you can create a nice one while in GM you have to "infeste" an object with alarms.

Also, you can draw maps so much faster than you can in GM.

RPG Maker includes awesome art with it too.

If you want I can show you a list of more RPGMaker pros.

GM is powerfull with no doubt, but use rpg maker, 10000 times better for an rpg.

Use rpg maker for a few days and sure you like it.

The only bad thing is the battle scene. A lot of people dont like it, but you can search scripts on the web to make it more.....better -.-

DW, RPG Maker XP and VX use a custom subset of Ruby script called RGSS, so they have at least some semblance of programming. They even let you touch menu scripts and the general game loop, to really get your hands dirty. They'd be a good start before he's forced to know C++ and construct data structures from scratch. The only disadvantage would be... whatever problems Ruby has compared to traditional programming languages.

RPG Maker 2k/3, though? Those I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot poll, as it takes so much more work to do things in it that are easier to do by understanding RGSS in the later versions that it's just annoying when you're first starting out. Trust me, I've been there... after the initial shine of the DMS and DBS (Default Menu/Battle System), you won't get far. Trying to do custom things in those makers is just an awful experience. Satisfying, in a masochistic sort of way, but awful.

• Like 1

I'd say Game Maker. And learn GML, it has the same syntax as C++ minus setting up the annoying stuff, and more flexible than anything I've seen by far for a scripting language. Then again, only learn GML if you're willing to do a lot of the work yourself. As for the above comments about "infest"ing with alarms, you can get rid of any of that easily by creating functions that handle things at your call faster. Either way, making a *good* RPG system that works depends on how much time you're willing to dedicate and how long you will actually spend thinking and planning before programming/scripting : )

• Like 1

I have no experience using GameMaker for anything, but from my experiences with trying to make Sonic X-2's battle system, its not worth the management of MMF/2 to try and make anything that deal with numbers that need to remain constant. I assume GM has better management of variables.

• Like 1

I have no experience using GameMaker for anything, but from my experiences with trying to make Sonic X-2's battle system, its not worth the management of MMF/2 to try and make anything that deal with numbers that need to remain constant.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to hear from someone who actually tried making something like this in MMF or GM.

All in all, thanks to everyone for the info. I guess I'll go with Game Maker when I find the extra time.

Rep up to all who contributed (when the 24h limit passes). Mods may lock now.