A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What's the best movement engine? (Game Maker, all by Damizean)

Chaos Rush

Well, recently I've been wondering what's the best and most stable 360 movement engine. It's natural for most people to think that the most recent is the best, I currently prefer to use an older build. Anyway, the three engines I'm talking about are:

1. The latest Sonic Dash Engine

2. The Examples Pack that Damizean released at GMC

3. The old "Cyber Green" engine

Primarily I'm asking somebody who would know the most about these engines, such as Kain or Damizean.

Obiously, the sonic dash, besides be the most complete, it's the best in programmation part.

But it's hard to add things due to you don't have build that engine. i mean, Revival is good enough to build a very decent game and you'll have less problems to programm another things.

but, talking about movement, sonic dash

The Sonic Dash engine (Xmas Engine revision) is by far the most superior, in terms of engine design and code.

It's (IMHO) the most robust of them all, with most features (specially if you use the Xmas Gift one) and the easiest to work with, once you get used to the framework, as it's completely States Machine based.

States Machines are helpful to have a clean, robust code, and makes easier to spot any glitch or problem you could have while performing an action (as the actions code don't overlap).

The Sonic Dash engine (Xmas Engine revision) is by far the most superior, in terms of engine design and code.

It's (IMHO) the most robust of them all, with most features (specially if you use the Xmas Gift one) and the easiest to work with, once you get used to the framework, as it's completely States Machine based.

States Machines are helpful to have a clean, robust code, and makes easier to spot any glitch or problem you could have while performing an action (as the actions code don't overlap).

But doesn't the older engine have something similar to state machines? Anyways, could you explain me the big difference between the Xmas engine and the Examples pack? Thanks, and obviously the very old "green" engine is out of the question.

But doesn't the older engine have something similar to state machines? Anyways, could you explain me the big difference between the Xmas engine and the Examples pack? Thanks, and obviously the very old "green" engine is out of the question.

Not exactly, the previous engines had code to perform depending upon wich action was being executed, but all the codes with all the checks were performed secuentally (meaning, execute code for Idle, execute code for Jumping, etc) each step. That translates in cases where code of one action may overlap another, and even not properly manage the transition from an action to another.

Using States Machines is different, because the code for each action is contained and executed separately, and once. And more importantly, each state of the machine control how and when to change to another state, if a certain criteria mets up. This prevents from action code overlapping and random problems once you get to do complex stuff.

And, about the diference between the Xmas engine and the examples one, is the fact it's a completely new engine, meaning I coded stuff with a diferent focus, after seeing the drawbacks I could find with the PoS engine. It ended up being cleaner, better programmed (more optimizated, even) and modular oriented, meaning it being more friendly for the programmer.