A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Multiply

When it comes to lighting, multiply seems to be the best technique as it preserves dark colors. However, MMF2 doesn't support this transparency effect.

Does anyone know if it's possible to recreate the effect within MMF2? I figured I could manually grab the colors of pixels behind an object and multiply it with the object's color, but I can't find a way to grab the color of a pixel that's actually behind an object. I figured if I could get the color of a pixel on a specific layer, then that would be good too, but I can't find a way to do that either.

Does MMF2 even allow you to edit its transparency modes? I've never really looked that deep into its core files and I doubt it even has technical support on it.

If there's an extension that grabs pixels in the way I want or supports the effect directly, let me know; I'd love to be able to get this effect working.

Related example: Download

Multiply.png

Left: Semi-64; Center: basicMultiply; Right: Add

When it comes to lighting, multiply seems to be the best technique as it preserves dark colors. However, MMF2 doesn't support this transparency effect.

Does anyone know if it's possible to recreate the effect within MMF2? I figured I could manually grab the colors of pixels behind an object and multiply it with the object's color, but I can't find a way to grab the color of a pixel that's actually behind an object. I figured if I could get the color of a pixel on a specific layer, then that would be good too, but I can't find a way to do that either.

Does MMF2 even allow you to edit its transparency modes? I've never really looked that deep into its core files and I doubt it even has technical support on it.

If there's an extension that grabs pixels in the way I want or supports the effect directly, let me know; I'd love to be able to get this effect working.

Related example: Download

[qimg]http://larkss.supersanctuary.net/PublicPics/SFGHQ/Other/Multiply.png[/qimg]

Left: Semi-64; Center: basicMultiply; Right: Add

If you were to manually use the multiply blending, it'd be terribly slow. Your best bet would be finding an extension, or use the substract blending, but you'd have to play with layers. Hard shit in MMF, in GM it's way easier to do this.

Larkks, you don't have to put an object in order to make a blending effect. You can just have the multiply object invisible and read the pixel of the object behind. Later you just need to draw a pixel at the selected location reading the colour of the invisible object, instead of the frame one.

But anyway, getting this to work at average speed in mmf is like a big no. Even in c i am having problems with slowdowns since i don't use hwa.

I've thought about that BF, but that method would only allow me to draw the Multiply effect once. Also, I already knew I'd get some nasty lag from it, but I was wondering if it would be useful for any pre-rendering effects or not. I've kinda given up on it at this point though and settled with Subtract.