A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nautica

Power Hedgehog

SONIC NAUTICA

This is my newest side project. I have been working on this engine for a couple of weeks, and everything is going as planned as far as gameplay. The game features 4 different team stories revolving around one plot. There are 3 stories with 3 playable characters each. The stpries are: HERO, DARK, and NEUTRAL. There will also be a FINAL story availabe apon completion of all stories. Each story has it's own initial plot, but are all focused around the main story plot.

MAIN STORY

Dr. Eggman's plans for world domination never ends. This time, he figures that he has come up with the ultimate weapon, capable of taking over the world. The doctor creates a huge space station codenamed: "NATUTICA." His plan is to knock out all of Earth's orbiting satellites, and use the NAUTICA as Earth's primary satellite. He also needs the seven chaos emeralds to aid in this plan. With them, he'd be able to crown hiself ruler of all to control all of Earth's technology, and turn all them against the Earth inhabitants, excluding himself. Dr Eggman warns Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles that they have 48 hours before the end of the world, and that at this point, there was nothing they could do to stop him. Being the adventure-loving hedgehog that he is, Sonic is always up for a challenge. He then sets off, with Tails and Knuckles by his side, to collect the emeralds before Eggman, and thwart his plans.

GAME PROGRESS: (17%) & FEATURES

Currently, the game is in its alpha stages. 2 of the characters have been completely coded. The only info to be revealed as of now is on Sonic's gameplay.

SONIC'S GAMEPLAY:High speed gameplay. His moves are: Spindash, Lightdash, Jump Dash, Homing Attack, Wall Jump, and Sonic Dash (Sonic Rush).

Each character has a SPECIAL GAUGE at the bottom left corner of the gameplay view. This gauge is used for each character's special attacks which will be revealed soon.

The game features different gameplay elements for different characters. Also, a few gimmiks have been coded such as: ropes, rockets, air rings, grinding, and swinging. More will be added soon.

CURRENT SCREENSHOTS:

Click on a pic to enlarge

sn1lf5.th.pngthpix.gif

sn2xj6.th.pngthpix.gif

sn3ks9.th.pngthpix.gif

sn4yj3.th.pngthpix.gif

sn5tj2.th.pngthpix.gif

sn6ji7.th.pngthpix.gif

sn7mc3.th.pngthpix.gif

sn8jn5.th.pngthpix.gif

PLANNED LEVELS:

HERO STORY:

Serene Oceanfront (25%)

Forbidden Fence (10%)

(more will be revealed soon)

DARK STORY:

Raging Mechanism (15%)

NEUTRAL STORY:

Sunrise Mountian (5%)

Windy Peaks (0%)

More updates, and a gameplay video will be uploaded soon.

Also another side project!

That makes pretty much guarantees neither project will ever get finished.

Seriously, I do not understand the concept of the side project. I mean I guess I could understand if you were designing a original game and a Sonic fan game. But why make two Sonic fan games at the same time? Here's an idea every time someone gets an idea for a "side project" take all that time and energy that you planned on putting into your side project into your main project and finish a game. That way maybe someday we will have some completed games around here.

Now that I've had my rant I'll comment on the actual game its self.

Wow, Sega can make nice looking sprites and backgrounds. Your black blocks look great too.

The test level's background looks great :), but the black tiles though.....

What about them? Did you forget what you were going to say or something?

Seriously, Cuda. You have made three worthless posts in the span of 5 minutes. Like I've said before, actually contribute to the conversation. You are a key proponent as to why we have this rule installed:

For the same reason, try to include actual content in most of your posts. While simply posting "this fangame looks cool, I want to see more" sometimes is okay, it is NOT okay if all of your posts are like that. If you don't ever have anything interesting to say, why even post at all?

What about them? Did you forget what you were going to say or something?

Seriously, Cuda. You have made three worthless posts in the span of 5 minutes. Like I've said before, actually contribute to the conversation. You are a key proponent as to why we have this rule installed:

Oh my bad, let me finish the rest. I understand this is a test level, but couldnt the black tiles be blue or some other color or transparent?

Oh my bad, let me finish the rest. I understand this is a test level, but couldnt the black tiles be blue or some other color or transparent?

a transparent floor will cause lagg and there is no need for it, whats wrong with Black, would you rather pink, yellow or Gold -=O_O=-

Black is off the chain (cool), I know that. But the level background is neat, the level art haves to come NOW!!! (don't take it personal, Power Hedgehog can take all the time he needs)

Uh, you do know it's from SonicAdvance 2 right?

Level art doesn't need to come right away Cuda, it seems to me that Power is actually designing a level that would be fun - and will put graphics overtop of it later I'm sure. Games in development usually don't look pretty in the beginning, they have to start somewhere :P

MFZB you do know I said Power Hedgehog can take all the time he needs.

Black is off the chain (cool), I know that. But the level background is neat, the level art haves to come NOW!!! (don't take it personal, Power Hedgehog can take all the time he needs)

Off Topic - True Sonic, its called Retro Sonic XG now but i havent heard to much about it since its name was changed.

OK back on topic, I wonder if there gonna be new characters in this game since the story sounds huge, to early to tell though.

Yes, but all your previous posts seem to state that the black tiles were a negative, or at least that is how I took it anyway. Unless you were joking with the 'NOW!!!' comment, it would kind of contradict the whole take your time bit.

Anyway, game is looking pretty good thus far. I don't really have much else to say about it since it is a little too early for me to really be able to judge =). Keep on it though!

Yes, but all your previous posts seem to state that the black tiles were a negative, or at least that is how I took it anyway. Unless you were joking with the 'NOW!!!' comment, it would kind of contradict the whole take your time bit.
Yeah, i was just playing/joking when I said "NOW!!!"

I do hope the demo has a stirdy engine and all but i'm sure it's using a Custom Engine, Damizeans or SonicRevival Engine. Which is still awesome either way actualy.XD

NO!!!! No one uses Sonic Revival anymore, and I'm glad. Now that I look back on it, I THINK I MADE A CRAPPY EXCUSE TO CALL IT AN ENGINE. But forget that, it's the past.

But on behalf on one of the posts on page 1, someone said that there really haven't been any completed fangames at all. And that is true, sadly...I remember when I had it set in mind that, "I WILL FINISH SONIC REVIVAL!!!!one!one!" but then the game kinda just collapsed on itself.

Besides that Power Hedgehog, if you are still working on Sonic GEDA, either work only on that, or work only on this, or at least set some kind of schedule where you will only work on one game for a period of time then switch.

EDIT: Sonuvabitch. hRook beat me to it.

Not to nitpick at something irrelevant, but...

Sonic Nautica?

Is Sonic breaking into the menswear industry now?

sonicnauticana3.jpg

In all seriousness, though, I think that people should wait until they have a little more than screenshots of a test level before making a project thread. (A video of the test level in action would even work)

There's really not enough here for me to give any praise or criticism. I guess all I can say is "Cool, another decent looking game."