A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

5 Concepts: a short series for Studio Workshop

Pheonix Gamma

I'm currently taking a class at school called "Studio Workshop". The main idea behind it is to take ideas and concepts that we have and develop those ideas into something more tangible (as opposed to other classes, which focus on teaching you how to use materials or programs). The result is that you pretty much come up with anything you want to do and get graded on how creative the concept is.

At the beginning of the semester, we were asked to think for 7 different ideas, which is about as vague an assignment as you can get. Then we had to take three of them to work on, while simultaneously making two hybrids that borrow from each piece (so you have ideas A,B, and C, then ideas AB and BC, or AC and BC or whatever).

Anyways, I just finished an all nighter on my final three concept pieces, so I figured I'd post them.

Keep in mind, these are camera phone pictures, and I'm no photographer. I'll have better photos up by Saturday.

1104081114.jpg

Croc-a-Doodle-Doo

My first idea. Basically, a farmer looks in his barn and a Crocodile made babies with his chicken. Then he runs out of the illustration. I don't really like how this one came out; The resolution was a little too low (100 dpi I think) and because I printed it on this on the school's computer (Mac) the colors got fucked.

1104081115.jpg

1104081115a.jpg

Johnny Star and the Music Suckers

Meh. This was another one of the original designs. It was basically a guinea pig for my hybrid idea, so it wasn't crafted very well and the fragment of a story that's there isn't really fleshed out beyond a pun and a silly quip. Oh well.

1104081115b.jpg

1104081115c.jpg

1104081116.jpg

1104081116b.jpg

1104081117.jpg

Croc-a-Doodle-Doo 2: Electric Boogaloo

One of my two hybrids. I love this one. First, I worked entirely on the computer this time, and at 300dpi, printed from my PC, so everything is the way it should be. I took the 3D comic idea and the "popping out" idea and married them, so you have the animals breaking down one of the panels, and everyone is leaping out of the final panel and junk. I also redesigned the farmer to look less retarded.

Reactions have been pretty good, though my critique won't be till tomorrow.

1104081117a.jpg

1104081117b.jpg

1104081117c.jpg

1104081118.jpg

1104081118a.jpg

1104081118b.jpg

Life of a Dust Bug

This is one of those ideas that work better in theory than in practice. Basically, Eddy and Freddy are dust bugs. Then they get burned. Cue closing monologue. This one was pretty frustrating, just because fire is REALLY hard to control using just a $3 butane lighter. It took about an hour since I needed to find a place to burn it (all of the studios have fire detectors, AND it was rainy/windy out. I ended up burning it in my car at 4AM, putting out the flames as the cops drove by.)

The main conflict I had with the professor was that the art is burnED, not burnING like the dialog suggests. However, it was HILARIOUS to watch it burn up in real time.

5th one won't be posted because I BS'ed it 1 hour before class. Basically just a combination of the burning and pop-out, mixed with self-referential dialog. Not pleased with it, but it'll get me a C and that's good enough.