A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My sonic engine

Lepretr0n

I've been working on this for 2 or so months, its made in Flash (coded in ActionScript). My first (real) game, and i've been working pretty hard.

Keep in mind this is just an engine, but I plan to make a full game out of this one day.

ignore the stuff at the bottom, just made it for my personal reference.

Oh and no load bar, so wait for it

Arrows to move, "a" to charge spin attack.

Make sure you're holding left or right when releasing "a".

Edit: Oh yeah and I drew the graphics (not that that's much to be proud of)

except the bad guys

Update: added rings = healthiness.

Try it out here

How are you managing collisions? Just curious.

Also, random advice. I've noticed you use way too many redundant variables that could be scaled down on a single action state variable, wich is the best way to handle characters and such. I suggest you try to make it work more like a states machine for the best funcionality and better debugging.

How are you managing collisions? Just curious.

Also, random advice. I've noticed you use way too many redundant variables that could be scaled down on a single action state variable, wich is the best way to handle characters and such. I suggest you try to make it work more like a states machine for the best funcionality and better debugging.

I only used so many variables because I've been coding this over time, with no even basic plan at all on how to organize it, making it basically one big mess. I might clean it up sooner or later, but i doubt it. As for collisions, I'm using a basic hitTest:

_root.ground.hitTest(this._x, this._y+1, true)

or

_root.ground.hitTest(this._x, this._y+22, true)

• 2 weeks later...