A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Badniks I made from Scratch

OverbounD

Not Free to Use

attachment.php?attachmentid=912&stc=1&d=1222626185attachment.php?attachmentid=913&stc=1&d=1222634949

Based on a Yellow Jacket Wasp and Rino Beetle.

I've created two badniks here for my game Sonic Time Twisted. I have never tried to create badniks from scratch and this is my first attempt. I was just wondering how they looked and if you prefer custom, fusion, or reused badniks in fan games.

post-252-13863976258_thumb.gif

post-252-138639762581_thumb.gif

That's pretty good for a first try. Judging by the eyes, it looks like you were going for a Knuckles' Chaotix style.

The bee looks fine, but the rhino one looks a little misshapen; try making the horn look more triangular, and make the top horn look like it's in front; you can do this by taking the horn and making more of a cone shape out of it. The whites of the Badniks' eyes should also have a bit of gray toward the brow and on the eye that appears narrower, to give the eyes a more three-dimensional look.

Good for your first try. As for the Badniks I prefer, all of them are fine. You should also add recolored to the list; the team that worked on Sonic 1 Mega Mix did a great job recoloring the original Badniks.

Hey thanks for the help I've edited the sprite a little to include some of the stuff you mentioned. I tried to make the horns more triangular and shaded the eye. I did not make the top horn in front simply because the Rino Beetles which I am basing the sprite seem to have the bottom horn infront. Thought it probably depends on the specific beetle I like it the way I have it. I also added a little more shading where I thought it was lacking.

The bugs are supposed to be Sonic CD style actually. There are only two parts of the sprites that aren't 100% original I stole the big eye from the blue scorpion badnik from Sonic CD then shrunk it and flipped it for the second eye. Also the wings are from a Chaotix sprite.

More comments are welcome ^_^