A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Allocating Unallocated harddrive space..

Asuma

What brand of computer is it, and did it come with a recovery CD?

Chances are good that, if it's a Dell of HP or other 'Big name" brand, and came with a system restore / recovery CD, that the "unallocated space" is actually a hidden partition that contains a mirror image of the system data as it was when it was boxed. The restore CD simply copies this image onto the main partition and presto! System restored!

If this appears to be your situation, I would recommend not touching it.

=Smidge=

There *is* a 137GB limit on the older ATA drives. However the board would have to be nearly six years old for this to be a problem (problem is circa 2000/2001).

With a Athlon64 proc, the board is not that old and it *shouldn't* be the problem. It might actually be the drive itself, sometimes they have a jumper that limits their apparent capacity to under 137GB for compatability reasons. That's pretty rare nowadays, though.

Edit: Worth noting that the next limit is 2.2 terabytes, and is the limit for the 32bit addressing scheme. With the 750GB drives on the market now, and a cheap JBOD controller, you can easily hit that barrier today.

=Smidge=

It might be the cable. Although, all this usually do is limit the speed. Get a cable for your harddrive which is the exact type that is made for your drive (if its a ATA-100 drive, get a ATA-100 cable, if its a ATA-133 drive, get a ATA-133 cable). This was the problem with my DVD burner once. Also, flashing your bios sometimes does the trick. But all new bios' has LBA48 support, so I dunno

There was a 137GB limit due to Windows XP having a problem with addressing anymore space because the original version (with no service packs) didn't support LBA48...If you have Windows XP service pack 1 or later installed, this wouldn't be the issue. Since you haven't stated exactly what OS and service packs applied, this may or may not be the problem.

Just get partition magic and turn it into a partion. We are overthinking this. It's just a poorly set up drive.

In partition magic, click the unallocated space and hit partition. Takes a few minutes and doesn't even require a reboot.

If THAT doesn't work, come back and let us know.

Not so much overthinking - the SOLUTION is pretty obvious. The question is WHY. If it was a brand-new drive, chances are Windows formatted it for him, Gamerdude might have the right answer. It is also possible that the drive has a legacy mode enabled that caps the size to under 137GB.

If he formatted the drive himself as a separate step, he'd probably know enough to avoid this problem in the first place and maybe know how to correct it. That makes Gamerdude's theory a little more interesting.

=Smidge=

For those interested: Microsoft KB303013

I know these are normally more confusing than they're worth (or at least for me that tends to happen a bit).

Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition already include SP1.

That's what gave me the hunch.