A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Shadow the Hedgehog Untitled

Well high school graduation for me is over so now I have more time to work on this side project of mine. This is a game where you play as Shadow the Hedgehog through 6 stages fighting a boss at the end. The story is told through fully animated cutscenes. This game has the genesis classic style with a little bit of modern moves like wall jumping, grinding, and chaos control.

Chaos Control:

When near a enemy you can press the C key to teleport to the enemy's position. You can use this technique to go through walls or floors as well. You can activate it when air falling or you can repeatedly do the move after attacking an enemy while in the air.

HINT: When you come across in the level where it looks like its a dead end. Look up and down to find you way out.

Controls:

Move Left and Right - Left and Right Arrow Keys

Jump - Z Key

Grinding - X Key

Chaos Control - C key

Storyline:

Coming Soon.

Highlight Features For Full Version:

• 6 huge stages filled with secret places and alternate routes.
    Classic genesis look with modern moves like Wall jumping and grinding
    Use Chaos Control to teleport to a enemy's position.
    Fully animated cutscenes to tell the story.
    Unlock bonus content as you play the game.
    Fun bosses at the end of each level.
    Realistic Sonic physics
    Beautiful graphics and sound.

Credits:

Damizean

Rougeyoshi

Kain

Brianna(me) - Lead Programmer, Music, Cutscenes

Brandon Mandolph - Programmer, Story

Screenshots:

attachment.php?attachmentid=840&stc=1&d=1214850440

attachment.php?attachmentid=842&stc=1&d=1214850440

attachment.php?attachmentid=843&stc=1&d=1214850440

attachment.php?attachmentid=844&stc=1&d=1214850440

attachment.php?attachmentid=841&stc=1&d=1214850440

Downloads:

Demo v01

Problems in this release:

Checkpoints need work

Credits are highly WIP

Some SFX need to be added

Chaos Control is still in beta

Level still needs some revising.

Rushing to get this demo out, I accidently deleted the Main Menu song. Luckily no error messages popped up. I will make a revised version with some bug/glitch fixes.

Report any problems you over cross.

post-1795-138639762143_thumb.png

post-1795-138639762147_thumb.png

post-1795-138639762152_thumb.png

post-1795-138639762155_thumb.png

post-1795-138639762158_thumb.png

Level still needs some revising.

Quote for emphasis.

I basically didn't manage to finish this demo because of the unbelievable poor level design choices. If you're aiming for a Genesis look, then play through the levels some more. Stuff like the Unexpected Bottomless Pit of Utter Doom right after the first checkpoint will get the player: a) frustrated; and B) afraid to fall into another UBPoUD and thus start playing the game cautiously, or in other words, slowly (which is a major no-no in a Sonic game). Another poor level design choice is the "you die/get hit by this obstacle unless you know positively that it is there". I think I encountered several of these, and this is not how you increase difficulty in a game, this is level-design cheating on your part since you're making the player suffer without him even doing anything wrong.

Example: *I run*

*I see spring in my path*

*I collide with spring*

*boing*

*boing*

*boing*

*I go straight into a badnik with no room to jump away*

And a yellow spring crush-killed me.

Engine-wise I didn't encounter any bugs other than being hit by some enemies I Chaos Control into.

Yeah, I do have to work on the level design I am thinking about finding another person who is good in level design because I am not that good in level design at least in a Sonic game I'm not. I know how you should design a level for a Sonic game since I played old Sonic games on the genesis for hours and weeks before making this game it just doesn't come out right when it comes down to the level being done.

Yo, nice work thus far. As Cyber Rat said, the engine is near rock solid, and true to your word, it did feel like a Genesis Sonic game. It was smooth as far as I could discern. Though I didn't really finish the demo, I appreciate the size of the level. Shadow's Chaos Control feels pretty intuitive and natural, and it saves major bacon when there's that ever tricky enemy that just appears when I'm at high speed. It seems pretty good and accurate to me.

Though what should be improved upon is this. Enemy placement. They shouldn't be in the way when you're running at such said speeds. I'd suggest putting them around when the player's pace is slower. Same goes for pits. Also, I would think it better to make grinding automatic rather than having it as a seperate feature of key input. Other than that, I think it's all good for a start. Think I ran into a glitch though that you might wanna know about.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/7560/stukiz8.png - Stuck between the spike and spring.

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/1049/wuttkm2.png - Wall jumping off the side of a spike? Don't know if you would want this or not, but just pointing it out.

Overall though, I like what I see. Tighten up on the level design and you should have yourself something of potential.

A nice effort, but it was riddled with many bugs. Here's some of the noteworthy ones:

• Shadow's animations are jittery. I'd check your hotspots on every animation, because running, jumping, hell...even walking looked incredibly awkward.
  • I ran so fast, the game couldn't catch up with me. It gave me a nostalgic rush, because here I am
    , but then I remembered that it was, and still is, annoying.
  • I got hit by an enemy and in my temporary invincibility, I got stuck in a wall. I played again and again, and I found myself getting stuck in a wall in many various ways (like speeding into it).
  • Level design was awful. You built up Shadow's speed with flat sections only to throw a shit ton of spikes or an enemy at me to fuck me over. Not cool. That also goes for springs in between two spikes.

Otherwise, you have a fine foundation and I'll let you know of any more problems I see. I'd like for you to keep working at it and show us an awesome demo at SAGE this year. You're halfway there, so stay at it!

I can see you definatly put some work into this, fix the level design, add gimmicks, and fix the bugs and you should have a killer game here.

As far as the level design you can do it yourself its not hard just time consuming. Here's a few tips I always tell people that are having trouble with that:

study level maps found here and here:

http://qntm.org/?maps

http://www.randomsonicnet.org/srz/index.php?page=sonic1/maps.htm

remember not to over use speed pads and not every level has to have loops. Also design your levels on graph paper first it makes things so much easier when you can see the level as a whole drawn on paper.

Good luck and good job.

• 3 weeks later...