A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Here's something I've always wondered...

Aerosol

Where is the coding involved in Private Servers? What exactly has to be coded? It's got me a little confused, you see...

edit: Little clarification. I mean private servers like Schthack did for PSO. Apparently there's alot of coding to do with packets and such but...I'm a little lost in understanding whats going on.

Where is the coding involved in Private Servers? What exactly has to be coded? It's got me a little confused, you see...

edit: Little clarification. I mean private servers like Schthack did for PSO. Apparently there's alot of coding to do with packets and such but...I'm a little lost in understanding whats going on.

Depends on the actual game and server. They're just server emulator, so they gotta do everything a server does: managing players, actions and enemies in the way the client understands.

lol, hush up Aero :P

Dami, could you be a little more specific? I mean, I know how reverse engineering works for say...model viewers. I don't understand how reverse engineering works for a server though. How does someone examine the method a game uses for sending data?

Basically, unless you have the source for the game itself, it'll be extremely hard to just scratch up a private server for a game.

Scthack i believe obtained the Network Server code from somewhere. Highly doubt it was built from the ground up.

Im not really sure at all, but i believe all the game servers do is transfer information that simultaneously works with the game engine in order to make the other players and such move. The game creates the characters, and while you control your own character, the server provides your console/pc the information of the other players that are being controlled, along with projectiles, positions, variables, ect ect. The server code basically just controls what info comes in and out of the game. And since the game itself is most likely half dependant on the information from the servers to run correctly, you need the source of the game itself (or extensive knowledge on what the server is looking for) in order to create a server that works correctly.

hence why Bomberman Online doesn't have a private server?

That sucks. I was playing Bomberman Online on my DC the other day and looked for private servers....couldn't find a single one!

Guest Shadix

Well, Broomop had something going for a while, not really sure what happened to the project as his domain is gone.

Guest Shadix

That's what I was trying to tell him, but apparently that "Bomberman Online" server wasn't actually a private server for the DC game but rather a client to play online bomberman.

I still think that server had support or was intended to at some point. I always thought the PC client was similar to that text-only client they have for PSO ep. 3. Simply a very graphically simple version of the game that has the ability to interact with the server and supports playing with console players.

Guest Shadix
I cant decide whether broomop is a retard or a genius

Why would he be a retard? If it weren't for that hacking breakthrough that inflated PSU's economy I doubt I'd be playing still. Sonic Team like readjusted everything to compensate and now it's as if the economy is actually fair.

Guest Shadix

Well, back in the PSUv1 days they managed to exploit the game and found a dupe trick, along with hacking to get unreleased rares and whatnot. ST got the people with the rares, but alot of that duped money stayed in the economy and got distributed beyond the point of help. We personally sat on a meseta goldmine too that Sa, Ila, and I mooched off of for quite a while.

When the expansion came out alot of elements of the game changed. Meseta drop amounts rose from like 10meseta to 300meseta per drop. I suppose they felt the mission point system was unfair too because that got changed as well, if you've seen the sizeable difference in MPs between AotI missions and pre-AotI.

This convo isn't really for this topic though, so sorry I potentially threw your topic well, offtopic XD.