A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Motion Blur tomfoolery

So I began thinking about if motion blur was feasible or not. It probably isn't, but that doesn't mean I didn't mess around.

The basic idea of this test is that motion blur has to render at a very fast framerate to look correct. So all I did was double the framerate in Sonic Worlds to 120fps. And apply the standard MMF motion blur hack, which is:

- Active Picture object stretched over the screen and set semitransparent

- Screen capture object

In order, these:

- Screen capture object captures the frame to "blur.bmp"

- Active picture object loads a blank file (to clear the file cache)

- Active picture object loads "blur.bmp"

The current setup I have here will increase blur the faster you move. The edit box in the bottom right corner can be used to set the blur level yourself; higher numbers mean more blur at higher speeds. I don't reccommend going over 10 (default is 5). There's probably a better way to calculate how much to blur, but I don't care. It's a quick test that took five minutes.

MFA: http://blazemp3.sepwich.com/SonicWorlds03RC3_b1_motionblur.mfa

EXE: http://blazemp3.sepwich.com/SonicWorlds03RC3_motionblur.exe

Why this probably isn't feasible: Higher framerates are more demanding on PCs. The Sonic Worlds test may run smoothly, but it also has relatively few objects compared to what a full-sized, fully-detailed level will contain.

Nabbed it before Sep went down.

Then deleted it from my brother's harddrive minutes after playing it.

Anyways, I was able to get just under 60 FPS on my crappy 2-year old PC, so it really isn't THAT bad. It's very nice looking, and hard to notice. Which is good and bad, sure it doesn't mess with gameplay, but it might not be worth the drop in framerate that is bound to happen on even older computers.

It ran ridiculously fast for me, about twice (Or maybe more) the speed of the usual Sonic Worlds beta. Made jumping a bugger...

Saw the effect ok (Is a little hard to notice though, although there was limited places to achieve decent speed and as I said, it was running fast for me), looked fairly impressive and the logic behind it seems solid enough...

One amusing question, would it be possible to scale up each Alpha Picture object depending on its transparency? Essentially a sort of mock Radial Blur effect.

Not particularly useful, but might be a fancy effect. This is what I'm kinda explaining.

Really? Seemed to run normal speed for me, except for the jumping, which was obviously accelerated. I thought Dami made the engine run framerate independent?

The Active Picture Object allows you to resize an image, but it's very, very slow. I was goofing around with that in TFH ages ago. Lets you do all sorts of nifty things like rotate the image, etc:

whooooaaaa.png

I forget what I did with the build for that, though.

Edit: Ah, here it is. Hit the number keys (don't think numpad will work) to switch between different effects. It's an old build, too, so ignore some of the stuff that's present in there, like the level-up system.

Edit 2: Oh yeah, and obviously, it would help to switch off of gamepad if you need to :P

Pretty much, if it's good enough for the Final Fantasy PS2 games (Which abuse it horrendously :P ) it's good enough for anyone :P It might work well with things like Transformation Animations (Turning Super) and the like, probably works better when the camera is static but something is animated near the boundaries of the screen.

Oh and:

*Is sick* :P

Well, one way to get a true motion blur effect is to apply the standard motion blur, but at a very high framerate. In other words:

You render the image at 120fps with motion blur/after-images applied, but you only display at 60hz. I've done this before in video processing - make a video at 120fps, apply motion blur, render it out like that, and then re-render the video at 60fps again.

I had thought Dami made Sonic Worlds run the same speed independant of the framerate, but I guess not.

• Like 1

"The Mushroom" :P

You could try using "Add" blending mode, might be interesting (Although possible very bright) and instead of scaling out, scale inwards

Although I'm now just entering the realm of really horrible effects rather than nifty useful things like mock motion blur :D

• 6 months later...

If you added a Sine curve to the nausiating rotating blur and made it a bit less extreme, it could make a good earthquaking effect.

Also, would it be possible to make a separate frame that only contains the BG's of the level that is loaded on top of the actual level as a subapp and made transparent to replicate motion blur? You'd think if you did that as well as make the objects in the frame have their own basic blurring, you'd be able to replicate the blur effect without the lag of rendering and loading image files.